Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th Gen ('00-'05): Control Arm Bushing Time

Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Control Arm Bushing Time

Well group, I am up to some unplanned stuff and it all started with "so I need new tires this year". I'll spare the details. As of tonight, I removed the front struts (going to replace the rusty bearing plates) and lower control arms. The vertical bushing on the lowers is showing signs of ripping (they are factory original, 86K miles on a 2004 Monte). First, I HATE this design since the first time I saw it. I had a 93 Grand Am where the lower control arms had two horizontal bushings (which make sense, it works like a hinge) and then my first experience with this vertical bushing was in a '04 Grand Am (same gen, one year newer). GM has used this setup for YEARS. Best I can assume is maybe it dampens road vibration (and again, that's a guess).
Sorry, I went off the rails a little bit.

So, I need some input, I am looking to rebuild my control arms.
1. - MOOG sells K200787 replacement lower control arm bushing. Claims you use a ball/socket configuration for longer life vs the stock rubber bushing.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...424067&jsn=469
Anyone here use this? Is it truly worth while or is it still better to use the rubber bushing?

2. - I tend to be a fan of Energy Suspension poly bushings. Anyone know of a Energy Suspension poly part number for the horizontal bushing on the control arm?

Thanks group!

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.