Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 AM
1 Year Member
Default New parts?

Alright so im replacing my o2 sensor soon but im also replacing the ignition coils and lower control arms/balljoints. When we dropped the cradle to change the rear main seal it messed up my lower balljoints so my question is should i replace just the balljoints or would it be easier to change the whole control arm? Also for the coils should i go with GM coils or aftermarket?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GM coils for sure. Not sure about the lower ball joint but I would probably replace the whole thing that way the control arm bushings are new as well

Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Get a new control arm and sway bar link. Its really hard to just replace the ball joint. The sway bar link is usually toast when you try to pull it out of the control arm. Just keep in mind with the new bushings you may be looking at an alignment. Dealing with that on the way to work today O.o

Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

IMO, unless you have a problem that is definitely your coil packs, there is no reason to change them. 90% of the time, they last the life of the car. GM has used these coils since the early-mid 90's and I've had some and seen plenty over 200K miles, no issues all original coils.

As for the ball joint on the control arm. I've changed that ball joint on my old '94 Grand Am as well as the vertical bushing. The process on that car is the same as the Monte. Drill out the rivets on the old ball joint, put the new one in, the new one comes with a kepts nut and bolt set to use in place of the rivets. Works with no issue. But the bushing is a PAIN without a press. I would price a new control arm and consider it, as replacing it should be quicker, easier and as mentioned, all new. I also had an old control arm (about 190K miles) break due to rust. Not fun!

As for the sway links, that is a GREAT idea. Normally by the time you go to remove them, no chance in hell getting them off the car and the rubber bushings are normally cracking anyways.

There should be no need to alight the vehicle if you are changing the control arms or the sway bar end links. These do not have alignment adjustments to them. Any alignment changes they might cause should be minimal and again, not warrant an alignment.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

There should be no need to alight the vehicle if you are changing the control arms or the sway bar end links. These do not have alignment adjustments to them. Any alignment changes they might cause should be minimal and again, not warrant an alignment.
Well I am having about a 3-4 degree alignment issue that started the day after doing my CV, control arm and sway bar link. Maybe its just coincidence. But the car felt kind of squirrely on the way to work today.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

All that messes with alignment is the tie rods and the bolts that bolt the bottom of the strut to the spindle (camber bolts)

Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
All that messes with alignment is the tie rods and the bolts that bolt the bottom of the strut to the spindle (camber bolts)
Well guess ill have to check everything today

Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Well I am having about a 3-4 degree alignment issue that started the day after doing my CV, control arm and sway bar link. Maybe its just coincidence. But the car felt kind of squirrely on the way to work today.
Originally Posted by turbo monte
I agree with John. So as long as you did not mess with those items, the alignment should not be affected. The ONLY other thing I could suggest is that the last time the car was aligned, the parts you changed worn ridiculously out of spec and the shop that aligned it did not properly inspect those parts prior. Otherwise any impact those parts have on the alignment is minimal to none (in most normal cases).

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

I agree with John. So as long as you did not mess with those items, the alignment should not be affected. The ONLY other thing I could suggest is that the last time the car was aligned, the parts you changed worn ridiculously out of spec and the shop that aligned it did not properly inspect those parts prior. Otherwise any impact those parts have on the alignment is minimal to none (in most normal cases).
Well I jacked her up and tightened the tie rod end and castle nut on the ball joint. Still off alignment. The sound in the front end Is worse after the new parts than it was before. Best I can figure is I stressed the tie rod when I was working on the front end. Im gonna replace the outer tie rod and get an alignment and hopefully that will fix the issue.

Also sorry to jack your thread dude.