Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Default Fuse keeps blowing

Hey guys, I need your help.

I'm running a system for my girl and having an oddball issue. We're running 2 Kenwood KFC-W2525DVC 10IN Subs to a Visonik V800XD Amp. We ran 4Gauge Rockford Fosgate Wire. Along with Twisted Pair RCA's. For some reason, the system powers up, the LED lights up, and then fades out, and the 25amp fuse at the battery power wire, blows.

I think the amp might be blow (it's old) but I"m not sure how to tell. The amp itself has 4 x 30amp fuses on the unit.

What do you think we're doing wrong here?

-=Ant=-

Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Fuse keeps blowing

Hi `Ant,
My ReSeach reveals the below. I hope it helps until one of our
expert members post their suggestion/fix/opinion..Good Luck
[:-]
test it with a digital multimeter. you can get it for about $10 at radioshack. it tells you the voltage, amperage, and resistance of a circuit[/align][:-][*]

POWER
STEP 1
A: Check for 12v at amp using the amps ground, if correct move to step 1-B
If not 12v,check again using a good ground
If still no power, check fuse on both sides of the battery.
B: Check for 12v Remote power using amps ground, if correct move to step 1-C
If not 12v, check remote power behind deck.
If still no power connect to a accessory power source.
C: Check amps ground, If amps ground is good,and it wont power on, Amp is bad.

SIGNAL
STEP 2
A: Check RCA's output at the amp for AC voltage (0.5v-8v) and should change
w/ volume, If correct move to step 3-A
If there is no voltage move to step 2-B
B: Check for AC voltage at head unit (0.5v-8v) and should change w/ volume
If correct, RCA's are bad and need to be replaced
If there is no voltage at head unit, deck is bad and needs to be replaced

OUTPUT
STEP 3
A: Check the positive and negative terminals at amp for AC voltage should
range from (5v-40v) and change w/ volume.
If there is power, check speakers for correct ohms
If speakers are correct then the amp is bad and needs to be replaced[/align]
[:-][/align][*]

The first thing you do is make sure that all the connections are in the right order in a new or used install.

1 With a test light check if you have power from the battery + positive cable to the amp on the terminal.

2 make sure that your - GND wire is connected with good contact you can also use the test light to see if your ground is a ground at all. make the GND wire as short as possible to keep the noise down. Feel if the GND wire is warm or hot ,
thats not good have the amp professionally checked out and

3 with a test light check the small + positive remote turn on wire coming from the head unit for power .
(should be blue or red) for power.(you can test: with a small jumper wire to the positive terminal to the remote turn on terminal)

4 check the fuse, never put tinfoil or a piece of metal for a fuse it could cause a fire, the same can happen with cheep wires that are not shielded like speaker wire, it will melt under lode and cause a fire across the car once it's found a ground to touch.

5 check your RCA wires for correct install position red to red white to white, check on both the amp and the head unit and
look for wire flaws. I recommend you replace the existing RCA's and install with new ones if their not new.With another RCA wire plug into the amp to each channel to see if you have sound when touching the end of the non plugged in side with your thumb. If you hear a slight electrical noise from the speakers good then replace the RCA wire to the head unit. If that doesn't get you sound then probably its your head unit that has bad RCA out puts from accidentally touching the RCA left and right.

6 check if your speaker wires are plugged in properly + positive to + positive and - negative to - negative or follow the instructions to bridge your amp or speaker for different ohms.

7 when you set the volume level of the amp turn to 1/2 way to start and set CD player to 1/3 way to hear it but not kill you ears when your adjusting the amp, also the amp may have other gains set all to 1/2 way and internal cross overs to off or on the mid position. when you have sound you can adjust the sub woofer gains to the max and then turn back a 1/4 turn for safe non overheating position, also don't install amps in enclosed aria or you will get allot of overheats.

8 check the speaker, with another first if you have one, sometimes the wires cross or come undone in the box.

If you still don't have sound the amp is no good. their are lots of things that make a bad amp but this will be the proses to track them down.

You don't need to know the voltage in this situation your not a pro so I would stick to the test light, that shows you 12v just fine if it lights up you have voltage, thats all you have to know to install a amp and let a shop repair the amp if needed or just replace it.

GOOD LUCK MAN I HOPE THIS HELPS .[/align][/align][/align]

Old 10-10-2008, 07:41 PM

2 things. Make sure all wiring is fine... yes check it again.

Then call Visonik tech support. It's free and will have a trained Visonik tech answer the question.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 PM

i had the same issue with my 60 amp fuse.to fix it i cleaned the terminals and then turned everythin on the amp down. it then blew again. so then idecided to start the car and let it run while i put the next fuse in. low and behold it worked. it could have been a stroke of luck but who knows?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 PM

and the 25amp fuse at the battery power wire, blows.

I think the amp might be blow (it's old) but I"m not sure how to tell. The amp itself has 4 x 30amp fuses on the unit.

What do you think we're doing wrong here?
Ok, so let me get this straight- you have an amp with 120 amps worth of fuses (so lets say it takes 100 amps to run at full tilt), and you've got a 25 amp fuse on the wire feeding it? The problem lies somewhere else if it pops instantly on powering up, but you're still way underfused up front.

The way I'd check the setup for the power on fuse issue is to unplug everything from the amp except your +, -, and remote. If you give the remote wire 12 volt turn on, and your + fuse blows, then the amp is toast internally. Pretty straight forward.