Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Monte keeps blowing fuse for dome and Map lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Default 04 Monte keeps blowing fuse for dome and Map lights.

My dad hasa 04 Monte that keeps blowing the fuse for the Map lights, Dome & the trunk light.
I had changed the fuse and everything worked for a few hours then it blows again.
I don't think it's the door switch because the foot well lights come on and the Door ajar light comes on when a door is opened.
Also when turning the lights on uising the headlight switch the foot well lights come on.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Default RE: 04 Monte keeps blowing fuse for dome and Map lights.

We have looked at some of the wiring above the headliner for the dome light also checked the trunk light circuit. But have not found any bear wires touching. Once we get a nice day well will take the headliner down and side pillar to check the harness from the fuse box to the trunk.

Does any one know if this is a common issue? If it is where is the wire rubbing and shorting out.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM

I have seen a few Monte Carlo's blow this fuse because the power wire going to the lighted vanity mirror in the left or right sunshade is pinched where the sunshade pivot mounts to the roof or the power wire is mis-routed and one of the sunshade mounting screws has pierced the wire insulation.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM

Just wanted to give a update. Saturday we put a new fuse in and it blew right away. So after checking the wiring harness above the headliner coming from the visors and going back to the trunk. We couldn't find any bare wires. Also did not see any bare spots in the trunk. So we unplugged the sun visors and that resolved the issue. So it appears that it's a short in one of the visors. We didn't try plugging them in one at time because he never used the lights in the visors and didn't care that they don't work. He's had the car 4 1/2 years and didn't even know that they there till we started looking for a short a few weeks ago.