Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

srs fuse keeps blowing,white smoke under hood+more

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Default srs fuse keeps blowing,white smoke under hood+more

heres some info on my monte carlo and some problems ive been having lately...car still runs fine

2001 monte carlo ss 3.8
110k miles
black
high output alt 270amps

problems: a lot!!!
stereo wont turn on(could get power elsewhere but yeah)
-srs fuse keeps blowing
passenger window switch broke(window is down
-drivers seat warmer doesnt work
sunroof doesnt work
-white smoke in the engine,may be caused by leak

recently my batteries were drained(i have 2),so i checked them with a DMM and they read at 5.2 volts. so then i charged them,

one is charged good and is still holding a charge 1 month later, the starter batt started to fry and didnt hold a charge.the same day....

i purchased a new batt at autozone(duralast gold),i installed it and connected everything,i didnt add the 2nd batt this time.the car started up right away so i figured id let it run a bit..

so then white smoke starts to form and im unsure where its comming from,the car doesnt overheat and theres coolant,i do here a sizzle when i turn the car off..maybe theres a leak somewhere!!

so now the car starts and theres a smoking problem,also i discovered my aftermarket stereo isnt turning on after i replaced the batt,i thought it fried.

so i check the wiring and theres no power in them,so i check the fuses near the drivers door,i see a wire connected to a fuse so i check that one because it seems to run to my headunit wiring harness,sure enough that fuse is blown.

i took the spare fuse of the same amps and replaced it, 10amp fuse SRS location..i turn the car power on and can hear the little pop noise...sure enough it popped again....so now im stuck there..

on the dash where the box that says "change engine oil,low tire pressure" etc...it doesnt say anything about my air bags..

Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Default electrical problems too

I have al, pbought the partsroblems with my 01 ls.. my srs does the sme. I think ive pinpointed the problem. If I step on the e brake the radio will turn on or off depending how I tap it, the saAme with the srs, now the light stays on all the time.. A few pros told me that there is ashort somewhere on the srs/airbag wire or sensor. That is the answer to the airbag fuse blowing when you turn on the car and that annoying pop that it makes. The white steam prob I have now also it is the intake manifold gasket probably. I am going to try the alumiseal, that is supposed to fix that problem, I have replaced my engine once already.. My 00 SS runs cherry with 240k on the body and? on the replacement engine. I rebuilt it from wreck from a 18 y o chick who hit a telephone pole 3 days after purchase so I basically stloe the car at a deal, got the parts off ebay and used craiglist and did the car in 3 days and just finished spraying it. The airbag sensor is near the impact bar and didnt have any frays on the wiring, maybe your wiring is frayed, I bought the LS from a girlfriend who wrecked it exactly the same way, but I am certified in custom auto paint.
The monte has tried my nevers though and I am going to take it to a shop to have them figure this shyte out because this car WILL NOT be the death of me . I will keeep you posted and pick some brins for you BUT the electrical problems are most likely under the carpet where some wires are, they probably grounded out by corrosion..

Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 PM

My srs connections come apart sometimes due to the type of doors I have and the shop told me if it comes apart pull the fuse. They say it may deploy if it grounds out.? To be on the safe side I would trace down the short or pay a shop to do it. Im not too sure about it grounding out and accidently depoloying but I dont want to take a chance and have it happen... The smoke can be many causes but from what your saying with the sound after shutoff It may be something leaking and burning off causing smoke. I know when I overheated one time I had smoke coming from my engine bay after everything was fixed and come to find out my oil was toast.

Last edited by DRuben; 06-24-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

the 3.8's are notorious for engine oil leaks (theres a recall) they need to put on diverters for the leak as it drips on the exhaust manifold...they say it can catch fire if you dont fix it.....as far as the other "electrical" issues..maybe someone else can chime in and help you with that...