Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

can you just replace the air filter and get more hp outta your car or..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default can you just replace the air filter and get more hp outta your car or..

do ya have to replace the whole system? in other words are there 15 dollars filters out there that would benefit horsepower without getting a kn cold air intake system which is around 200 +

Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM

The whole problem with the stock intake systems on most cars is that there are too many bends. The air has to change direction far too many times. the stock air filters aren't terribly restrictive. That's not the issue. It's the turns and restrictions from the intake system between the air filter and the throttle body that makes the CAI systems beneficial. CAIs eliminate those restrictions and present closer to a straight line path between the air filter and the TB. It's actually fairly inexpensive to make you're own CAI or FWI if you know what you're doing to be completely honest.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First it helps if we know what year/drivetrain you are working with. I will assume it's a 2000-2005 Monte Carlo with a 3800? If that is the case, you can search this forum and other 3800 based forums for more details, but here's the quick answers:
- At no cost you can "gut the air box". Basically, open it up, remove some restrictions so more air hits the panel air filter.
- I have a drop-in K&N air filter, which most people recognize K&N as a performance company. I believe that filter off the shelf was $30-$50. So even a "performance" filter, you will spend a little cash for it (beyond $15).

- Some people have removed the air box all together, used PVC pipe from Home Depot and a K&N cone filter to make a "Forced Air Intake".

- The K&N intake you mentioned is NOT a Cold Air Intake. I believe they call it a "Forced Air Intake" and most people call it a "Hot Air Intake". It is the worst design for the money. The air box is not insulated, made of steel (which transfers heat from the engine compartment very well) and where the air tube/snorkel comes thought the box has a HUGE hole allowing heat to bleed in badly as well as no lid! From the get-go, you'd have to insulate the box to help isolate it from heat of the engine. If you were even considering that system, go to ZZP and invest in a Wizaird.

You will notice some performance gain but without additional mods (such as an exhaust, larger throttle body and such), the gains are minimal. I've read a lot of people were happy gutting the air box. That might be the best and cheapest solution.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Let me say this about a CAI system. I had my Intimidator SS for 2 weeks driving it just over 100 miles a day commuting 5 days a week, and getting 22.5 mpg on premium gas. After that 1st 2 weeks, I installed a K&N CAI system, and IMMEDIATELY my mpg rose to 24.5. That was 152,000 miles ago. Do the math. That K&N CAI system has paid for itself MANY times over.

Will it do the same for yours? Is yours supercharged or turbocharged? That's where you will really see the difference. But ANY engine will breathe better and perform better with a CAI, whether it's a store bought unit, or a $40 homemade unit.

Forget about changing the cartridge filter to a K&N lifetime filter, unless you are just after not buying more filters again for your car. Even the cheapest aftermarket freeflowing filter on a pvc or flex' pipe intake will outperform the stock factory intake.

Check your mpg before and after. That's a great indication of how much performance (HP) you just gained.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my monte is a 2007 ss. is it still that easy? sounds like i need to just invest the 250 and get it done right.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM

I think Maniac hit the nail on the head. There are far better designs for your money that will actually keep the air cooler. With the K&N you're essentially paying for name. The only real gains you get are due to the less restrictive flow and you can do that yourself for $40 or so, if that. And doing it yourself it would be very easy to insulate it better and make it better than throwing $250 at the big name.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
And doing it yourself it would be very easy to insulate it better and make it better than throwing $250 at the big name.
All depends what your after and time you are going to put into it. I personally had thoughts of gutting my air box at one point, then I just kinda wanted the Wizaird (from what I understand, it's one of the best pre-fab designs and when you look at it, it makes sense why it's better then most). Oddly, I actually got a Wizaird for Christmas (so I'll be placing that in the Monte around Spring when I get her ready for summer driving).

Originally Posted by joeykl66
my monte is a 2007 ss. is it still that easy? sounds like i need to just invest the 250 and get it done right.
Looking at ZZP's website and the link for the Wizaird, since I believe you have a LS1 for your Monte, there is an additional cost for a Wizaird that fits an LS1. With filter, you are probably more at $300. An important thing I will say, I have not researched Cold Air Intake/Induction systems for a '06-'07 Monte with a v8. So I honestly do not know if the Wizaird is the best choice (I assume it probably is given it's I big winner in the 3800 '00+ W-Body crowd).
As for a DIY, Jest was recently discussing a Fender Well Intake that is all basically done with stuff from Home Depot and should be rather easy, in expensive and probably as good as a Wizaird in this case. Again, there are options, you just have to research some of them.
ClubGP.com might be another place to go (I know that's where Jester said he got the Fender Well Intake idea he wants to dabble with).

Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by joeykl66
get a cold air inductions CAI. hands down the best one i have ever owned. keeps the intake air temp down. usually only 7-10 degrees higher than ambient temps

Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Hey I went to ZZperformance and bought theirs it is a true CAI unit it took about a hour to put it lined up real nice and snug. the hardest was squeezing the pcm plugs in and finding the hole on the body clips . there is no drilling or anything. I recommend it highly