Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Went to the 1/8 mile drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like you had a great time. Like already mentioned, try to get those 60' times down. 2.4-2.5 sec 60' times are pretty horrible imo. Even when I was stock I still would see 2.2-2.3 sec 60's. Your wheels might be too heavy.

Your 1/8th time doesn't look horrible though. It's approximately a 16.3-16.5 1/4 mile time. If you could drop your 60' down to a 2.2x, you might be able to hit a high 15 in the 1/4. Keep us posted and I'm glad to see another 5th gen going to the track

Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Yeah I blame my 60' on my wheels, but until I go back with lighter wheels, I cant be certain thats the problem. The blazing hot temps there didnt help that much either. When you are just sitting their waiting your turn, I can imagine the temps inside the fender well werent exactly cool. It wasnt very peppy off the line. Once I go back when its cooler and I have my other wheels on, I will update what times I got. Hopefully I can get into the low 10s in the 1/8 which "should" be a high 15 in the 1/4. I think with this car its hard to judge the 1/4 based off the 1/8 because of the lack of low end grunt and the way it really picks up at higher RPMs. It was begging for another 1/8 after I got going but the track just wasnt there lol.

I have been to Pittsburgh Raceway Park as a spectator but not to race. Its hard to make it to the test n' tunes because by the time I get off work and fight the 2 hours of traffic to get there, its late by the time I arrive. Maybe if I am feeling ambicious I will make the trip and make a few runs. When I was at wyotech I should have gone there a few times but I just never did. I regret it now that I live farther away.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 PM

I agree about the Thursday night T&Ts at PRP, but you can always run on a Saturday in Trophy class. Only three guaranteed runs, but it's real competition and you have a shot at winning, especially in slower (more consistent) cars...and the track is 10000000 times nicer than Steel Valley.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 AM

Gratz on our track times. When you put your stock wheels on..if you don't change the tires out then I would suggest lowering the air pressure by about 5 psi and increasing the rear by 2 to 5 psi. You can play with that but by lowering your stock wheels alittle bit might help you get alittle better traction. Of course you can put those stock wheels on and find some back roads to test out if it makes any difference on your tires or not. Some it does some it doesn't.

Since you are driving an hour and half to the track I would suggest getting alittle cigrette tire pump that way when you get ready to leave you can air up your tires and they don't weight alot.

Also I don't know your rules of your track but did you remove your headlight infront of your air box. (Can't remember if 5 gens are setup that way) And where I go they have different lines for different stuff so what we do is we pop our hoods and wait for our line to move then pull the car up until we are the next one or one behind then we get ready to go. (Even seen one guy that had a cooler in the trunk with a bag of ice for his supercharger. When we was waiting he would put the bag on the supercharger to cool it down.) Also did you clean out the inside of your car. I know it will not make a big difference but every little bit does help. I figured I would give you some ideas to play with.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

When I went I raced the car the way it drives down the street. I didnt take anything out or change anything so all my crap was in the trunk and my headlight was still in. Next time I go I am going to get serious about it. Empty the car of everything but essentials, put my old wheels and tires on and I will remove my headlight since its real easy to do.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM

When I took my Monte out I did afew things but I didn't go over board with it. I took out my spare tire and jack and I removed the headlight. Since I live so close to the track I should have watched my gas alittle better and probably ran alot of it out but it was my first time in the Monte and I was more curious then anything about how it will do. Also if you are getting body roll you might want to think about spring blockers. They are about $15 at O'reillys and you can put them on at the track. Should help some with traction.