Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.
View Poll Results: Which Type of Headlight would you buy for a 2007 Silver Monte Carlo
Black Spyder Headlights - CCFL Halo With LED Strip (strip stays on)
66.67%
Black Spyder Headlights - LED Halo WithOUT LED Strip (there is no LED strip with this one)
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Trying to Decide between CCFL halo (w/ LED strip) VS LED Halo (w/o LED Strip)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:32 PM
1 Year Member
Question Trying to Decide between CCFL halo (w/ LED strip) VS LED Halo (w/o LED Strip)

So I am just wanting to get everyones opinion on this purchase I will be making . I have decided on getting new ALL BLACK Spyder Headlights. I have narrowed it down to 2 styles:

Black CCFL Halo With LED Strip (about 300$):

OR

Black LED Halo WithOUT LED Strip (about 260):

THey pretty much have the same design look but the TOP one is a CCFL Halo and it has a LED strip that Stays ON when the headlights are on (it doesn't blink when turn signal is on) The BOTTOM headlight (which is about 40$ cheaper) has a LED Halo BUT it Doesn't have the LED strip like the one pictured above.

Opinions?

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Either one you get make sure you seal them up so they don't leak right off the bat. I have found the hard way all aftermarket headlight have a terrible seal

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
1 Year Member

No matter which I get, I was gonna have it done by my mechanic (most likely) is this something I should make sure to EMPHASISE that he does? should he already know what to do or should there be something I suggest/get for him to ensure this gets done?

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Either one you get make sure you seal them up so they don't leak right off the bat. I have found the hard way all aftermarket headlight have a terrible seal

Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingOf206
No matter which I get, I was gonna have it done by my mechanic (most likely) is this something I should make sure to EMPHASISE that he does? should he already know what to do or should there be something I suggest/get for him to ensure this gets done?
I like ccfl's in this case cause they are brighter than LED halos. I had straight CCFL's on my amp that you saw today, the white ccfls are very bright. But ccfls are fragile so that's something to consider.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM
1 Year Member

Im leaning toward the CCFL's right now because replacement may be easyier cheaper. and also the CCFL have the LED strip which is nice... BUt I am also wanting to see what others have to say...

I liked the CCFL's I saw in your's. Very nice!

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
I like ccfl's in this case cause they are brighter than LED halos. I had straight CCFL's on my amp that you saw today, the white ccfls are very bright. But ccfls are fragile so that's something to consider.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM

Get the ccfl ones. You will never see the led halos. I got led halos when I had a cobalt and I ended up tearing into them and replacing the led halos with ccfl halos. Its well worth the extra money. All honesty retrofitting is the way to go. "Ebay" projectors have poor light output do to the lenses being "detuned" as they call it to lessen the light output. As for ccfls being fragile they are perfectly fine inside the housing its when you are handling them by themselves is when you need to be careful. Using rtv silicon around the seam of the lens and housing should be sufficient. If you have any questions let us know!

Last edited by soaxin; 12-23-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM
1 Year Member

SO if I choose to have my mechanic put these in, I should go out and also buy some "RTV Silicon" and have him put that around the seam of the lens and housing (as you have stated)

Just want to make sure when i do this I only have to do it once and the job will be done.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by soaxin
Get the ccfl ones. You will never see the led halos. I got led halos when I had a cobalt and I ended up tearing into them and replacing the led halos with ccfl halos. Its well worth the extra money. All honesty retrofitting is the way to go. "Ebay" projectors have poor light output do to the lenses being "detuned" as they call it to lessen the light output. As for ccfls being fragile they are perfectly fine inside the housing its when you are handling them by themselves is when you need to be careful. Using rtv silicon around the seam of the lens and housing should be sufficient. If you have any questions let us know!

Old 12-24-2013, 05:47 AM

Yep that should do it.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly wouldn't have a mechanic put them in. It takes maybe a minute to switch each one out. But yes I used clear rev to seal the edge of mine up.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM
1 Year Member

Great advice guys! I will be doing this in the next few weeks. I will make sure to post before and after pics!

Quick Reply: Trying to Decide between CCFL halo (w/ LED strip) VS LED Halo (w/o LED Strip)