Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)

Well guys, I had a good night at the strip until a close call which almost cost me my Monte which I will get into later. So I was at the strip, and the night can be highlighted by problems from the faster cars such as water leaks, oil leaks, 2 engine detonations, and 2 snapped axles, which took about 30-45 minutes each to clean up (the detonations and axles, the water and oil leaks were just burned off). so anyways, i made my first run, a 10.124 i believe as i don't have the slip with me as I write this, and about 69.79 mph. i coudln't match this time or reaction for the rest of the night. i had layed into the throttle by instinct instead of trying to nail it, which i actually wanted to do because i believed my tire pressures were low enough to handle it, but they weren't. i made 2 more runs at about 10.25 or so. On the second of my 2 10.2 runs, the car in the right lane detonated, somy car satat the line for 45 minutes while they cleaned oil anddebris off the track, and took the opportunity toput more stuff on the track. I got a nice picture while i was here. So I decided to do my regular take off and see if I could break into the 9's.I was staged and ready. The lights came down, and I took off pretty good without chirping my tires. I was excited, when OOOO MMYYYY GOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!.The car in the left lane was coming into my lane with sparks flying, and fortunatly he was alot faster than me but he was still only about 20' ahead. Well guys... you need not fear, your Monte Carlo SS's can stop on a dime. To give you an idea of how hard I hit my brakes, I could see my camera in my seat in the corner of my eye.. it didn't slide onto the floor, it nailed the glove box and then hit the floor. So anyways, I'm almost stopped, and I'm watching this car float into my lane, and I think "WERE IS THE TIRE"!!!! I'm still braced for impact and waiting for a tire, when suddenly it rolls by on the left side retaining wall. I sat there until the track officials ran up, and they told me no debris was on my side of the track. I proceeded at about 20 mph to the line, and my time was 58.8 some seconds. But still, I didn't care, I was just glad to still have my Monte in shape. The man in the booth handing out tickets complemented me on my fast reaction and good driving skills, and another man complimented me as I was filling my tires back up with air. Since that was planned to be my last run, I figured I wouldn't chance that again. A night full of accidnets almost ended in a wrecked Monte Carlo and one crying Cowboy . I'm so thankful to still have my car. Whether or not I will race on the strip again is still unknown. I think I could, but I will definitly be watching the guy in the other lane from now on more closely. The car I ran against was a custom built weird looking thing, hard to describe. It looked a bit like a fat rail dragsterwithout a closed cockpit, only a roll bar over the driver. I don't know if i'm going to trust a homemade car again or not.... that scared the living hell out of me. Well guys, theres my story. BTW, I picked up 3 tenths on my best time previously, on a lot colder of a night but I don't think that mattered, the tires weren't hooking up either night. A friend of mine with a Cobra actually ran 2 tenths slower than normal. I attribute the faster time to my recently retuned PCM.

So anyways... here is the picture I took of my Monte sitting on the line.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Default RE: My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)

Hi Duane, ~ CowBoy ~,
Thanks for sharing your Drag Racing Story. It was a interesting
early Saturday morningstory to read after working my night job.
Life is always a Risk, & Racing can add to that risk : ),
but I think it's a great super funrisk.
Your Monte Carlo SS looks super sitting on the Track : ), and I was
happy to read thatyou, & your Monte were not harmed.
One good thing happened, or you wrote
[:-]
that scared the living [sm=badbadbad.gif]hell out of me.
[:-]
WoW, no more hell in the CowBoy, Maybe instead of going to church, you should
get your church members to go to Races, & get the[sm=badbadbad.gif] hell scared outa them : )
Rev. Duane Black invites all to
CowBoy's Drag Rac'in Church
Service every Sunday @ noon....Tune it `Up : )
Come and get the Hell Scared Outa You....

Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 PM

5 Year Member

thanks space... maybe i'll look into. really helps to lighten the mood a bit, to me the drag strip is a scary place now..... i think my next mod may be slotted rotors so i can stop a tad bit faster... you can never be too safe out there

Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 PM

5 Year Member

its kind of like the old joke....

"how do you make water holy?"
"boil the hell out of it"

"how do you make a Monte Carlo driver holy?"
"you scare the hell out of him by throwing a fat rail dragster at him"

Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Cowboy,
Glad to hear You and Monte came out in one piece.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Yep glade to see you and the car are ok. Even at the drag strip bad things can happen.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

so anyways, i made my first run, a 10.124 i believe as i don't have the slip with me as I write this, and about 69.79 mph. i coudln't match this time or reaction for the rest of the night. i had layed into the throttle by instinct instead of trying to nail it, which i actually wanted to do because i believed my tire pressures were low enough to handle it, but they weren't. i made 2 more runs at about 10.25 or so. On the second of my 2 10.2 runs
Cowboy6622,
Glad to hear your ok, just though I'd add a little insult to injury. I'm assuming this is 1/8 mile, well it has to be with you only running 69.79 mph. You want to line up aganist my little dragster. It going 7.9 seconds has the power to run 7.5 seconds.At about 90 MPH!!
But notjokinggladto hear your ok. Things like this happen, this is whyyousign that release form when you enter the gate.The worse Ihave seen was a2002 camaro hit the wall going about 110mph head on.He was in a $2000 to win gamblers race winner take all. It was the final round and he got out of the grove and hit the NOS. Not a good thing when a tricked out Camaro with procharger gets outof the grove going $110. Needless to say it hit the wall head on putting the battery in the driver's lap. He was checked out by track officials the was released.
You got lucky Cowboy, but don't let this lead you to think street racing is better... becuase it's not. And this is comming from a 17 year old KID!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM

5 Year Member

yeah, it was an 1/8 mile. i'll be more than happy to line up against your dragster, if that wheel is on there good and tight :-).

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Cowboy lets race for thoes pink slips. I'll even give you a little head start, or as they say in Pinks '5 Lenghts'...

Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Wow, crazy story. Those advocates who tell you not to street race must know how dangerous tracks are too.

Glad you and your SS are okay.

Quick Reply: My night at the drag strip (MUST READ)