Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Tint Shop Scartched My Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Any business wants repeat business (and if they don't they want last long). When things are great and problem free, it's easy to get a good rep. I personally, prefer nothing to go wrong, but the stories of when something does go wrong go a LONG way.

You can have businiess like K&N (who Chibi is working with on a CAI problem, they are addressing it no questions asked).
I had a pop-up sun roof installed on my '93 and current '94 Grand Am (both by the same shop). When they did the '93, they dimpled the roof. They were up front about it and were willing to pay to have it corrected at the body shop of my chosing. The owner re-imbursed me and appologized for the trouble. To avoid warranty issues, the body shop had the sun roof guys come out and remove/re-install the pop up roof. The body shop also said how easy these guys were to work with. Class act!! They type of resolution and customer service earns consumer trust (hence why I go there and I recommend them to people in my area)!

Stay cool and don't make threats. Be prepared that the owner might not pay 100% (despite how new the car is, it is your word against theirs). But a reputable shop will offer SOMETHING in good faith, especially if they recognize the commitment you've given their business.
If the ower is not willing to work with you regardling this problem, you may want to gently mention to him your loyalty (the cars you brought in and a number of customers you refered to them that actually did business).

I hope for the best. Granted, they just might not like Mustangs (just kidding).

Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Originally Posted by the_maniac
granted, they just might not like mustangs (just kidding).
lmao

Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Thanks for all the advice and support.
I did talk to with the co-owner who also believes it not to be their fault or responsibility. I was 100% pleasant, told him a few times that I've been a repeat customer for years and have recommended them to a lot of people. I also made sure to bring up the age of the vehicle and that I take a lot of pride in ownership and wouldn't bring something like this to their attention if I didn't completely know that it was their fault, some how.
With the suggestions of a lawyer I've put together a time-line of events and conversations I've had regarding this and I've been in contact with my dealer to have a quote put together for a replacement window.
We'll see what happens.

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 06-28-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM

Are the scratches vertical or horizontal, and where on the window are they?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

It's almost like an upside down U shape, but sorta side-ways. Then there is just like a diagonal one.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Man that sucks big time. I hate other shop owners who don't take responsibility for what they do.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Man that sucks big time. I hate other shop owners who don't take responsibility for what they do.
Even though I am taking Rick's side, the shop also has to watch out for themselves. If they gave hand outs everytime someone accused them of a scratch or a ding, they'd go out of business because they gave all their money away. And since he left the shop with the car and THEN brought it back, the shop does have reason to be caughtious and/or suspisious.

BUT, regardless of who's fault it is, it would not hurt the shop to actually look at the damage and compare it to the location where it was serviced (see if there is any evidence to support who is responsible). Ultimately, at this point, from what I've read, that's the BEST you can ask for.

If it can't be determined 100% if the shop did or did not cause the damage, it might not hurt for them to make an offer of good faithalong the lines of a discount or free tint of the window when he gets the glass replaced. But that's entirely up to them.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Hi `Ted,
I can read the frustration & anger in your posted words
It's sad that a professional business would not admit their wrongs....Or, could it have been the dealer prep department that scratched it taking off window stickers etc ? ? & that you did not notice the damage until tint was place on the affected window(s)

Tinting Glass Procedures
Side Glass

One way to pre-cut the film for the roll up windows is on the window itself, placing the window film on the outside, with the liner side facing up, the film can be trimmed to the approximate shape of the window,
Or, if it was done by the Tint Shop (?), it could have been done by the installer as stated in above "Quote in Red"
(Source infor from ~>Window Tinting Installation Instructions - Page 2)

Ted, did you ask how much experience the tint installer had ?
It should never happen if it was a professional/experienced installer, but some tint shops change installer's often & many are novice, or just do sloppy work : (

I hope that you can get it resolved/fixed. I would check with your local Better Business Bureau to see `if they have any complaints against this tint shop ?

* Good News is that scratches in Glass can be buffed `out.
Click below link or do a Google Search to get tons of information on Scratched Glass & how to repair
How to Remove Scratches Glass | eHow.com
=========================================
It sad that things like this happen, especially to a ride that you've dreamed about & finally purchased.
Ted, wish you the best in getting it back 2 new & hopefully
have the Tint Shop pay....If not, just consider it another expensive learning experience in `Life & to never repeat & be extra cautious the next time you `do business with anyone..

I've learned some very hard lessons in life, and do my best not 2 repeat...You are not alone 4-Real...

Keep us updated & good luck...Many member's posted & shared some great information & feel your pain

Good Luck ~> 4-Sure

Hopefully others MCF Member's can learn from the mistakes of others,
& not have to learn a expensive lesson themselves!

p.s.,,Oh, ~> Pay Back a "Bitch" `if you mess with my ride

Last edited by Space; 06-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

KICK THEM SQUARE IN THE NUTS

Last edited by Blazed SS; 06-28-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Even though I am taking Rick's side, the shop also has to watch out for themselves. If they gave hand outs everytime someone accused them of a scratch or a ding, they'd go out of business because they gave all their money away. And since he left the shop with the car and THEN brought it back, the shop does have reason to be caughtious and/or suspisious.

BUT, regardless of who's fault it is, it would not hurt the shop to actually look at the damage and compare it to the location where it was serviced (see if there is any evidence to support who is responsible). Ultimately, at this point, from what I've read, that's the BEST you can ask for.

If it can't be determined 100% if the shop did or did not cause the damage, it might not hurt for them to make an offer of good faithalong the lines of a discount or free tint of the window when he gets the glass replaced. But that's entirely up to them.
Yeah I guess I'm just use to how my dad handles his business

Quick Reply: Tint Shop Scartched My Window