Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Tint Shop Scartched My Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Angry Tint Shop Scratched My Window

I had to take my car back in because I noticed some bubbling on my front windows. Sat there for about an hour last night after work before he took my car into the garage. I was so tired of being there, when he was done, I drove straight home. Got home and started to inspect. Well there are now scratches in my driver's side door window. DEFINITELY not there before he took my car into his garage. They're deep enough that my finger nail catches in them and are very noticeable. The thing is, they're on the outside! WTH?

I went back last night but he had already left. Slept on it, and called this morning. I was very pleasant at first. Just simply saying, how I noticed the scratches and obviously they weren't there before I brought my car in last night, and that I would really appreciate them fixing it or compensating me on repairs. Well, the guy started telling me that it was impossible that he did it, it was there before and that I just didn't notice it. Excuse me, my car is 3 weeks old. I admire and stare at the thing all the time. I would have noticed.

He said the shop owner will call me when he comes in later, and I've since talked to my mom who is a legal secretary to see if I can get some kind of advise from one of her bosses or see if one of them would call the tint shop.

What do I do? Are these scratches even reparable or am I going to now need a new window? Is there any way to prove that this was done by them or is it my word vs. theirs?

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 06-29-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unfortunately usually when you take possession of the vehicle after anything is done, you are assuming all responsibility for damages. If it's a good local shop, the owner might help you out. But if he wants to screw you on this he probably can. And you'll most likely have to get new glass if it's deep (which then you will need new tint).

My assumption is something was near the car when the door was opened, and while applying the pressure to the glass it did the scratches to the outside.

So I'm going to say it will be your word against theirs. But if it's a small shop and customer service is a necessity, the owner might be the most logical about this. You aren't there to cause trouble, you just want your new car to be perfect.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

It actually looks like a razor blade was used on the outside of the glass for some reason. It is a small shop. I've now had my last three cars there, my fiance's last and current car there, my step brothers, and I've recommended them to countless others. It's unacceptable.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Agreed, and hopefully talking to the actual owner will help your case.

I'm just letting you know that a lot of places once you leave they can screw you if you don't say something right away.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is unacceptable if you've giving them that much repeat business they should fix it no questions asked. Hopefully the owner will know and understand how much business you have brought in and want to keep you as a customer. I'm sure this isn't your last car.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I had the same problem with one of my previous cars. The shop basically told me to go screw myself, and sue them if I want. They can make statements like that, because they know that people won't sue for such a small amount.

I was told that very light scratches can be taken care of. But it's not quite the same as buffing out paint scratches.

What ever you decide to do, don't go back to that tint shop. And be sure to spread the word to family and friends of your experience with them. If you attend local meets and shows, maybe tell your story there too. Car enthusuasts are always interested in knowing which places to go and not go. Ask them where they got theirs done. You may also want to contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know. It won't help you pay to get your window fixed, but it'll help your fellow enthusiasts avoid the same problem with their own cars. And you may get some recommendations for a much better place.

The tint place I had problems with lost business, and eventually moved out of town. But I wasn't the only person that had problems with them.

Good luck. Please let us know what happens.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Stay cool when you talk to the owner. Make sure he knows how much business you've done with him and how you've recommended his shop to many others. If he's a savvy businessman and wants repeat customers, he'll work with you. If not, you're probably out of luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That does suck. My Mom took her 06 and had hers tinted. Long story short there is an egg size dent in the Rear quarter behind the door that definately wasn't there before. I told her no need to go back, they will deny it as you were told, no way we could have done that. She isn't happy but thats the way it is. As was said "once you drive off, its your baby". I think the time has came to give your car a thorough walk around with Mgmt when dropping off and do the same when picking up. That way there is no question. That is my new policy.
Good Luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear Rick

Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77gp
I think the time has came to give your car a thorough walk around with Mgmt when dropping off and do the same when picking up. That way there is no question. That is my new policy.
Good Luck.
Great advice!

Quick Reply: Tint Shop Scartched My Window