Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hot Topic: Affirmative Action MUST STOP

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007 | 12:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Hot Topic: Affirmative Action MUST STOP

Maybe living in the most muti-cultural city in the world makes a difference.

The dollar is king here, not skin color.

Maybe those of you who are being discriminated against out to move out here.

On second thought, nah, we don't have any room left here.

Old 12-31-2007 | 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Maybe living in the most muti-cultural city in the world makes a difference.

The dollar is king here, not skin color.

Maybe those of you who are being discriminated against out to move out here.

On second thought, nah, we don't have any room left here.

Yep same here! no more ROOM...

Old 12-31-2007 | 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

i feel that no matter what that there is always going to be discrimination. the reason i feel this way is due to that fact that not everybody feels the same way about different aspects in life. yes i believe that you should be looked at for who you are and what you have done to get where you are but there are always going to be people that feel that they are better than you just because they can feel that way and that is their choice to make and nobody elses. So for that reason i think there will always be discrimination. thus there is always going to be a need for afirmitive action. even though i do not agree that there should be afirmitive action.

I have just recently turned 18 and HAD to sign up for the selective service (yes i would fight for my country if they needed me but thats a different story) and i have heard that women who turn 18 do not have to register for selective service. first offis this true? then if it is, is that not discriminating against males and/or females.
Discrimination my azz...I am leftover from the Chicano power movement and a grand child of legal immigrants.

My sister is a president of a high power financial institute.

My brother started and owns his own multi-million dollar company.

My ex-wife who is an illegimate child of immigrant parents almost has her PHD.

My other sister is a VP of a major cable company.

I have the most bitchinest grandaughter in the world.

We didn't sit back thinking America was discriminant or never pulled the victim card.

This is the country where all dreams are possible. I guess being brown is different from being black or poor white. I wouldn't know. I just know working your azz off gives you results

yes i would agree that working your azz off makes things possible but there are still people that are going to work there azz off and be discriminated against just because of who they are because there are people in this world that believe that they are better than other people around them just because of the color of their skin.

Yeah but some just assume or expect everything to be handed to them. And believe it or not ...most reactions by other minoritys...are brought on by themselves!

Old 12-31-2007 | 07:03 PM

Although it's a couple of years old, here's an eye-opening (for most people) article on the subject of Affirmative Action and discrimination.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods32.html

In the last couple of paragraphs, I believe the real intent and purpose of Affirmative Action is revealedquite convincingly. Who wrote this law? Who declared it to be constitutional, when obviously it is not? Who profits from it financially? The answer, of course, is attorneys.

AffirmativeAction is just another government program that has failedto do what it was advertised to do, but this should come as no surprise to those who've been paying attention. Our federal government, as an agency of coercion, fails at everything ittries to do - everything. Discrimination, racism and bigotry are problems of the heart, and cannot be "fixed" with laws and regulations. In fact,legislation often makes the problem worse. Is this what attorneys had in mind? I think it's obvious, but otherscan decide for themselves. Just remember what attorneys learned a long time ago - happy people do not sue each other.

Old 01-11-2008 | 06:42 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

My comments in this post are mostly referring to the hard feelings on thefirst two pages of this thread.

The age "accusations": It is common for people to make a light hearted comment referencing how "old" they themselves are (or feel)by calling themselves "experienced" and such. It's kinda like how "used cars" are referred to as "pre-owned". The salesman is not necessarily calling the new cars "ownerless". Same here. The "experienced" and "young whipper-snapper" comments were not necessarily meant as insults to younger members. There was the one comment about reserving comments for the adults. This was probably a little outta line, but he had just been wrongfully accused (and rather angrily) of age discrimination.

There is also something else to keep in mind here. Simply knowing about history is not the same as actually living through it. A person who is old enough to live through a particular event in history is probably going to have a different view on the subject then someone who just read about it. This is not to say that the person who didn't live through it, is not entitled to his/her opinion. It's most likely going to be different. And both sides need to recognize that. For example, all of us here know what life was like (in general) pre-9/11. A lot of things were very different. Anyone born after 2001 is not going to know first hand what life was like. And won't have much to compare it to. They can only make their opinions on what they heard about it. At the same time, people of different nationalities/races are going to have differing views on it too. Depending on their experiences. We have to accept that.

Discrimination, racism, sexism and so forth, are unfortunately all part of our world's history. Some of it still goes on today. Is it right? No! Of course not. It's too bad that there are still people in positions of authority who believe in it. But this doesn't mean everyone or every company is like that.

When discussing touchy topics like ones in this thread, we all have to be careful to not generalize, and make sure we have our facts straight before making accusations. Also, it's important to make sure you have read the posts correctly. Don't skim over a person's post and assume at what he/she was saying. If you're unclear as to what someone was trying to say, ask them to clarify without being a jerk about it. Like the saying goes, "Assuming makes an *** out of you and me".