Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hot Topic: Affirmative Action MUST STOP

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007 | 09:38 PM
|
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default RE: Hot Topic: Affirmative Action MUST STOP

Matt, That is the wrong choice... This subject needs to be talked about. The reason there are so many bad feelings on all sides, is because we fail to talk about it, openly and frankly.

I hate no one! or feel ill well towards anyone! prejudice and discrimination comes in many ugly forms and it does, in my opinion, out of ignorance of each others feelings, and our failure to try and understand each other.

This is the perfect forum for this type of conversation, as most of you are annonymous to me and the world. I want Mellisa to tell me how she feels and others of color. I want to understand what they feel and see how it differs from other forms of prejudice and discrimination. Sometimes we are too close to the subject (our one sided views) to see the other side of the coin.

I want Affirmation Action to End, because I beleive it has succeeded in its original goals. I believe we are creating a crutch and it is time to level the playing field. If I am putting out 99.9% and someone else is producing 100% than regardless of race or religion they win, and should be promoted above me. If me and my competion are EQUAL, then the company needs to evaluate who (outside their qualifications) will help the company in the long run. This is where age, health,community service, and organizations associations come into play -- but not race or religion.

Ex:
I'm 49, my competition is equallyqualified but is 35. Age goes to him/her. I'm associated with every trade association and chair two of them. My competion is only associated with two. Networking & business development goes to me. These are the types of conditions that should be evaluated -- not color or religion.

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Craig, I agree with you that this subject needs to be TALKED about, but others on this forum seem to think it needs to be argued about. I know I dont have any say in whether this thread continues or not, but if it continues as anything other than a discussion, then no good can come of it. I would love to hear everyone'sview on this topic, but its a shame that we cant start a discussion like this and keep it from turning into an arguement.
I feel that discrimination is here and in some way or another it will always be here. Trading one form of discrimination (likeminorities being discriminated against)for another (affirmative action) doesnt make it go away. Affirmative action IS discrimination by definition. (treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit) If we all could have a nice civil discussion on this topic, I think it could benefit everyone, but if it gets out of hand I dont see it benefitting anyone and it could even make people less willing to listen to other people's thoughts.

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:02 PM

i feel that no matter what that there is always going to be discrimination. the reason i feel this way is due to that fact that not everybody feels the same way about different aspects in life. yes i believe that you should be looked at for who you are and what you have done to get where you are but there are always going to be people that feel that they are better than you just because they can feel that way and that is their choice to make and nobody elses. So for that reason i think there will always be discrimination. thus there is always going to be a need for afirmitive action. even though i do not agree that there should be afirmitive action.

I have just recently turned 18 and HAD to sign up for the selective service (yes i would fight for my country if they needed me but thats a different story) and i have heard that women who turn 18 do not have to register for selective service. first offis this true? then if it is, is that not discriminating against males and/or females.

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:08 PM

5 Year Member

See I dont feel that there is a need for AA, it is a form of discrimination as well so its kind of hypocritical isnt it.

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mrl390

See I dont feel that there is a need for AA, it is a form of discrimination as well so its kind of hypocritical isnt it.

I also think that it is hypocritical as well. but in some cases it is needed but others it is not.
so who decides when it is needed?

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Sorry about your sentiments SS Girl. Just curious how Oprah or Condie Rice do it if the road is so ruff......???

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

i feel that no matter what that there is always going to be discrimination. the reason i feel this way is due to that fact that not everybody feels the same way about different aspects in life. yes i believe that you should be looked at for who you are and what you have done to get where you are but there are always going to be people that feel that they are better than you just because they can feel that way and that is their choice to make and nobody elses. So for that reason i think there will always be discrimination. thus there is always going to be a need for afirmitive action. even though i do not agree that there should be afirmitive action.

I have just recently turned 18 and HAD to sign up for the selective service (yes i would fight for my country if they needed me but thats a different story) and i have heard that women who turn 18 do not have to register for selective service. first offis this true? then if it is, is that not discriminating against males and/or females.
Discrimination my azz...I am leftover from the Chicano power movement and a grand child of legal immigrants.

My sister is a president of a high power financial institute.

My brother started and owns his own multi-million dollar company.

My ex-wife who is an illegimate child of immigrant parents almost has her PHD.

My other sister is a VP of a major cable company.

I have the most bitchinest grandaughter in the world.

We didn't sit back thinking America was discriminant or never pulled the victim card.

This is the country where all dreams are possible. I guess being brown is different from being black or poor white. I wouldn't know. I just know working your azz off gives you results

Old 12-31-2007 | 06:21 AM

5 Year Member

A-men!

Old 12-31-2007 | 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Sorry about your sentiments SS Girl. Just curious how Oprah or Condie Rice do it if the road is so ruff......???
I don't believe any part of my post suggest that "the man" makes it so ruff that blacks can't make it in this world.I was reading a different perspective on here and I countered with my experience. Condi and Oprah kept working towards their goals like I am. That ******* at that bogus job told me I couldn't do this line of work, I would struggle without his help, and I should think about pursuing other goals...7 months later I work for the government doing great 3d graphics, I moved across the country(my own car and house), and soon I will try to get an MBA in Interactive Design. No matter how rough we had it growing up, my parents always told me to put in %100+ in everything I do. No man, white, black, brown, yellow, etc will have me holding my head down like I can't accomplish anything in this world.

Old 12-31-2007 | 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

Discrimination my azz...I am leftover from the Chicano power movement and a grand child of legal immigrants.

My sister is a president of a high power financial institute.

My brother started and owns his own multi-million dollar company.

My ex-wife who is an illegimate child of immigrant parents almost has her PHD.

My other sister is a VP of a major cable company.

I have the most bitchinest grandaughter in the world.

We didn't sit back thinking America was discriminant or never pulled the victim card.

This is the country where all dreams are possible. I guess being brown is different from being black or poor white. I wouldn't know. I just know working your azz off gives you results

yes i would agree that working your azz off makes things possible but there are still people that are going to work there azz off and be discriminated against just because of who they are because there are people in this world that believe that they are better than other people around them just because of the color of their skin.

Quick Reply: Hot Topic: Affirmative Action MUST STOP