New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 03:22 PM
Default Trouble shooting

I have a 2001 monte Carlo ss my car sat for about 2 years then i got around to fix it i changed out Ignition Coil Pack i also drained all old gas and it started and ran great for about 2 month's then one day while driving it just cut out and wouldn't start again. So just need ideas what to check or replace to have a running car thx

Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 AM

You will need to figure out if it's not getting fuel or spark. You can check for spark using a timing light or a old spark plug and connecting it to one of the plug wires and ground it to metal on the engine. You can also try listening for the fuel pump when you turn on the key. Good lick

Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
You will need to figure out if it's not getting fuel or spark. You can check for spark using a timing light or a old spark plug and connecting it to one of the plug wires and ground it to metal on the engine. You can also try listening for the fuel pump when you turn on the key. Good lick
Thanks for the ideas i will try spark plug wire soon i can hear fuel pump when i turn key on i even changed fuel filter twice...

Old 09-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My experience with this era of car, fuel pump hum does not equal fuel pump pressure. If it does not hum, you definitely have an issue (wiring issue to the pump, bad ground, blown fuse, bad pump). One thing you can do, if you confirm the pump hums, take the key out of the ignition, find the schrader valve on the fuel rail (3800 it's in the front, 3400 it's on the side). Take the cap off, I like to put a shop rag around it, use the tip of a screw driver to push the valve in to open it. If it squirts a little fuel, it's not 100%, but odds are pretty good you have pressure. If it doesn't squirt a drop (or it trickles a drop), odds are pretty good you are not getting fuel pressure.
If you just primed the pump, it takes a while to drop pressure.

As for spark, I would opt for the timing light or use a cheap inline tester (Harbor Freight sells a test light you can put in line with the plug wire and that can be easy and very helpful). I shy away from the ground the plug idea. Yes it will work, but there can be some risk to the computer components in these cars.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
My experience with this era of car, fuel pump hum does not equal fuel pump pressure. If it does not hum, you definitely have an issue (wiring issue to the pump, bad ground, blown fuse, bad pump). One thing you can do, if you confirm the pump hums, take the key out of the ignition, find the schrader valve on the fuel rail (3800 it's in the front, 3400 it's on the side). Take the cap off, I like to put a shop rag around it, use the tip of a screw driver to push the valve in to open it. If it squirts a little fuel, it's not 100%, but odds are pretty good you have pressure. If it doesn't squirt a drop (or it trickles a drop), odds are pretty good you are not getting fuel pressure.
If you just primed the pump, it takes a while to drop pressure.

As for spark, I would opt for the timing light or use a cheap inline tester (Harbor Freight sells a test light you can put in line with the plug wire and that can be easy and very helpful). I shy away from the ground the plug idea. Yes it will work, but there can be some risk to the computer components in these cars.
Thanks more good ideas i have to go to harbor freight and get a test light