Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): 07 SS Cranks but no start (Fuel Pump?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 07 SS Cranks but no start (Fuel Pump?)

Just recently my 07 SS decided it no longer wants to start. It would start, turn over for a moment and then die. It did this a few times, and now it cranks but doesn't turn over at all. It seems to me like it's not getting fuel. I can't hear the fuel pump turn on inside the car or even by opening the tank. Pressed the valve on the fuel rail with a pick while trying to start and no fuel comes out. This leads me to believe it's an issue with the fuel pump. However, I have no light and no DTC's are being thrown out. Fuse and relay checked out okay. I figured I'd drop the tank to check the fuel pump (which is going to suck, but I wanted to see if anyone knew any tricks.

In the meantime, at least I can get around in my G8 GXP

Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does sound like a fuel issue, while you're at it you might as well check/replace the fuel filter as well.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member

Yea, I'd suspect the fuel pump also. I'm not sure if there's a separate fuse or not but check to see. I shot my self in the foot once like that. I'd just changed a fuel pump in a tpi camaro. 2 weeks later it would turn over all day but not fire up. As you, I couldn't hear pump run when key turned to on. Press the schrader valve on fuel rail, no fuel. Spray ether in the throttle body it would run for a sec until ether burned off.
Figured pump went bad, pulled it back apart, back together still nothing. Then after deciding to research furthermore found there was a fuse that ran the fuel pump hidden by itself away from the other fuses down by the battery and sure enuf it had blown.
I spent a day on what turned out to be a 2 minute fix . I can laught now but at the time I wanted to kick my own ***.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
Yea, I'd suspect the fuel pump also. I'm not sure if there's a separate fuse or not but check to see. I shot my self in the foot once like that. I'd just changed a fuel pump in a tpi camaro. 2 weeks later it would turn over all day but not fire up. As you, I couldn't hear pump run when key turned to on. Press the schrader valve on fuel rail, no fuel. Spray ether in the throttle body it would run for a sec until ether burned off.
Figured pump went bad, pulled it back apart, back together still nothing. Then after deciding to research furthermore found there was a fuse that ran the fuel pump hidden by itself away from the other fuses down by the battery and sure enuf it had blown.
I spent a day on what turned out to be a 2 minute fix . I can laught now but at the time I wanted to kick my own ***.
Ha, I bet. My G8 was doing something shortly after I bought it. The previous owner stuffed a wire down into an ignition fuse spot and it spaced out the contacts. After a week of scratching my head, the 30 second fix was rather annoying.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Nooo!!! New pump in, and nothing is any different. It cranks (and starts if i spray throttle boddy cleaner in it) but still no fuel. Can't hear the fuel pump kick on. Fairly certain it's an electrical issue at this point. No codes, and everything else seems to work normally.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member

If it helps I'll pull up the fuel system today and see if there's a fuse for the pump. Gimme until afternoon and I'll get back to ya.
I've been in your shoes , I know the aggravation.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member

There is a 15amp fuse and a relay also, give those a check. I did the same thing before swore the pump took a dump, change it out still wouldn't run. turned out the fuse had blown. They should be in the underhood fuse block. it has to be something along those lines or it wouldn't start up and run off starting fluid.

Attached Images
File Type: gif
0996b43f807d9255[1].gif (89.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Aerocoupe86; 03-17-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:00 PM

That was one of the first things I checked. Fuel pump relay clicks when you turn the key, and no damage to the fuse. I feel like it has to be something in the wiring at this point.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:55 PM

So I fixed it. Finally. Turned out to be the positive connection at the body harness under the fuse box in the passenger kick panel. She lives again! The gray wire looked brown, so it overheated at some point. Just bypassed the harness.