Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Default no start

hello. I have a 95 monte 3.1. Sometimes when I turn the key to on but don't start it, I can hear the fuel pump for about 1 second. then it goes off. sometimes I don't hear it. either way, it goes to start but then the fuel pump doesn't turn back on and it runs for a couple seconds until it spudders out. sometimes I can get it to run and once I do, it will run for as long as I want but if I shut it off, I can't start it again. at least I know my pump has the ability to run, at least sometimes. also, sometimes when I turn the key to the "on" postion, I hear a few clicks coming from the engine area, sometimes no. what do you think? could the pressure regulator be telling the computer not to turn on the fuel pump if it misread the pressure as being too high? or does the pressure regulator have no effect on whether or not to turn on the pump? I hope it's not the pump because I just had it replaced in January and only have 200 miles on it because I took the car off the road soon after fixing it. now I'm wondering if my pump wasn't bad after all. by the way, I did start the car once a month since january just to keep it fresh. now i'm having this problem. please help!

Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Default RE: no start

well give me a shot at this, ive been out of the business for well just over a week. your fuel pump will run for about three seconds when you turn the key on. your pump may be running but if the pressure is below spec at all it will not run. do you have any lights on the dash as to maybe a security lamp. may not be turning on the fuel enable. as far as your regulator all you do is pull the vacuum hose off the reg, its located on the fuel injector rail. if you pull the hose off and there is fuel in the hose then that is most likely the problem. but like i said the fuel pressure is vital. check fuel filter for blockage. if the filter is bad, how long has it been bad could wipe out your pump if it hasnt already. also make sure your fuel pump relay is still clicking. but also dont neglect ignition coils or crank sensor. just take it one step at a time, check for spark and check for fuel.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:05 AM

how to I check the relay for clicking? is there any reason why sometimes I hear the pump run when turning the key to on and sometimes not? sometimes it runs less than 3 seconds. If I purged the fuel out of the lines by the shrader valve, it will run for a longer time before shutting off but the car doesn't always start. for some reason, the pump is not engaging once the car starts running.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:34 AM

Well, I think it's the relay. I had my sister turn the key while I held my finger on the relay box located in the fuse box under the hood. I felt a strong click once then didn't on the next few tries. is that a common thing to go bad?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:56 PM

no I'm stumped. I put the new relay in and the thing still does it! when cold, I was able to shut it off and restart it a few times but after warming up, I shut it and then it would start and spudder out no matter how much I depressed the accelerator. one time while it was spuddering, I heard the fuel pump kick on for a split second and the rpms kicked up but then the pump went off and it stalled. why won't the fuel pump stay on? besides that relay in the fuse panel, is there anything else that could be causing it except for the pump itself? what are the odds that the computer is bad? by the way, where is the computer in this car?

Old 08-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Did you replace your fuel filter? If you have a filter that is clogged as chevyjj noted it would cause similar behavior.

Other than that I would run a pressure gauge on the fuel line.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:50 AM

filter was replaced recently. almost sure it's not that. I'm tried the new relay but that didn't work. I'm thinking that the computer is not working but i'm not sure. is there a way I can jump those connections that the relay plugs into so I can manually power the pump without the computer telling it? that way I can rule out the pump being bad.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Maybe the PCM just needs to be rebooted... Pull your battery cable for at least 10-12 hours or overnight. Not sure that will help at all but it may be worth a try.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 PM

thanks but I tried that. had the battery off for a couple hours but that didn't help it.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 PM

I had a 95 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1, there is a recall about problems with the ignition switch not working right and the car catching fire. I also had the occasional no start problem. After installing a new starter I got the recall notice. The recall involves a start relay being mounted on the radiator support.

Quick Reply: no start