New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

SLP Pulley / Hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Default SLP Pulley / Hypertech

I was previously thinking of adding SLP Headers and exhaust but for the time being to savesome money and other things I've been considering placing some time and money into a SLP Pulley for my Supercharger and was aware of problems with KR.... Would a Hypertech Programmer be a good remedy to this problem? Also I've read mix reviews with the Hypertech Programmer from different members post on this forum. Some began liking it once purchased and then later thought they ran into problems because of it.?.? Possible mods to with a pulley are the goodyear gaterback belt, u-bend delete,SLP 160*Thermostatand already installed a K&N FIPK. Would this be efficient for a reliable and consistent 20 hp at least?
Please comment and especially those who have done these modifications.
Also is the SLP Thermostat which on their sites only says for Montes' up to 2003 cover on up to 2004 and 2005?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: SLP Pulley / Hypertech

i just talked to a gm tech in my town up here...he says the colder plugs are not manditory, you can do them and it will help...but it wont hurt anything if you dont..and same for the t-stat..

he also said you need no programmer or programming of any kind either...if you do the 3.4" pulley just make sure you have the exhaust free'd up(which you do) and a cold air intake(which you do)

i'm just trying to find someone who has the tool right now so i can get mine installed

Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM

First thing you will want to do is get a scanner to find out how much KR you have existing in the system now before droping a pulley size. Some of our engines are great, other we will say were made on Friday night and not so great. Even droping to a 3.5 inch pulley can be dangerous.

I personally have a Wizaired Cold Air Intake, Dynomax Catback exhaust, 3" Random Tech High Flow Cat, downpipe and Ubend removal. I dropped down to a 3.4 inch pulley and am getting 9* of KR which can cause catostophic failure after time. Actually anything over 4-5* is going to cause problems. I ran out and got a 180* T-stat and Autolite 104 plugs and am still pulling 7*'s. So saying that you can just drop a CAI and catback on doesn't cut it unless you have the funds to swap the engine once it blows as well. Right now I simply can't floor it and have to keep my boost below6 psi and even here I still get 2-3*'s.

1st step, get a scanner. Verify you have 0 KR, then add the supporting mods, then drop the pulley.

I will post my upgrading line up in the gen tech forum again as alot of people seem to have forgotten it from the posts I've read lately.

Wiz - That GM tech needs to do a little bit more studying on reliability.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Well I have a few things on the way that may help KR... at least I'm hoping I'll have it figured out. I have a DHP PowrTuner on the way, SLP Headers w/ High Flow Cat, and 180* Thermostat, and GM Performance exhaust.... that'll probably be all I do to it except the Pulley of course... Although when I talked to the SLP Tech. he stated that the 3.5 pulley has been designed to work on a stock 3800 with out changing anything the computer he said adjust itself. Either way I hope I'll be able to figure this damn DHP PowrTuner to be able to scan and what not and make changes... I'm just a little timid about messing with the cars computer programming... I'll probably be taking baby steps.. for a few months anyways....

Old 03-29-2007, 07:46 AM

I wonder how$$ the autolite plugs are and what or if they'll really do much good. I've heard mix things about them... I considered MSD Coils and new wires but I'm just not sure what I'm going to do there....

Hopefully all this modding what effect my fuel mileage to much....

Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member

do not put autolite plugs in a gm...if you want to go to one range colder plug run:

ngk ididium part # 3869
ngk platnum part # 5141
ngk v-power part # 4177

and as for the gm tech he's been doing these pulley's on the 3.8's for years, he says ...and so does a lot more mechanics....now that i've talked to them that you dont need any kind of programming..and plugs and t-stat are NOT manditory...

i will most likely run the colder plugs...not gonna worry about the t-stat or programming...or any kind of lap top...thats just over kill...sorry

Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM

These are the #'s I pulled up from NGK, any reason for the difference?

Spark Plugs

NGK Double Platinum 5146 PTR4B-15 0.060 SUPERCHARGED $8.95
NGK IX iridium 7164 TR55IX 0.060 SUPERCHARGED $6.95
NGK Iridium plug 5599 ITR4A-15 0.060 SUPERCHARGED (Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment ServicePart) $8.95

NGK GP platinum 3403 TR55GP 0.060 SUPERCHARGED $2.68
NGK V-power spark plug 3951 TR55 0.060 SUPERCHARGED $2.24

Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member

i was recomended by the ngk guy on the phone when i called them to use the plugs i wrote..

so i figured i'd go with what he said..he asked what i was doing and what i had...so he gave me the #'s