New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2006 Monte Carlo Dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by putnamjf
I tried to jump start with no success. But maybe I didn't let it charge long enough. It is like I am locked out. No power except the light comes on my phone charger. Nothing else shows life. I am locked in park and can't even move the car.

Thanks for the help. Any other answers would be great. Sorry if I am in the wrong section.
If you turn the key to the ON position, step on the brake you should then be able to take the car out of park at move it as needed.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 AM

Okay here's the story with the solution that worked. Thank all of you for your help. Even after charging the car is totally locked down. The battery shows that it is charged on the needle on the charger but no lights, dome lights, dash lights, locked in park, etc. Even power door locks don't work.

I unhooked the battery terminal cables and hooked the charger to the ground bolt for the negative and hooked the positive to the hot cable bolt on the plastic covered fuse box. I wanted to see if that would make the dome light come on and verify that my battery cables were not the problem.

When I hooked up the charger to the hot fuse box cable a relay "clicked" plenty loud enough to hear. I left it hooked to the charger and checked the dome light and it was on. The car would come out of park and everything. I hooked the battery back up and all was fine.

The car cranked and started. This was Saturday afternoon. Now the best part: I go to church Sunday (as I am the pastor) and this older woman says her 06 monte V6 would not start this morning. The battery was completely dead. I stopped by her house and it was just like mine. She couldn't remove the key and everything was locked down. I explained the process and she had her adult son follow my same procedure. Done in 5 minutes.

I can't believe more people have not had this problem if two people in a country church of 35 have it happen twice in one week.

Putnamjf

Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this helps out other Monte owners as well.

How old is the battery, by the way?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmm, I've never had the issue you're mentioning. My original battery in the 06 just went this past November, although that was just typical old battery issues. So, the original lasted 6-7 years (about what the original lasted in my 03 as well).

If yours is an 06 with the original battery, I'd start to look out for issues with the battery holding a charge. It might be about that time.