Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problem with Mr Monte

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Default RE: Problem with Mr Monte

If it is a stock radio with Theftlock: The theftlock (If it was active at the time of the theft) Is seperate from the car's anti-theft system. If it is a stock vehicle completely, I would bet it would be the lock cylinder OR your alternator shorted...if you can have that tested, I would. It doesn't sound like a starter issue.

If the vehicle has an aftermarket radio/theft alarm: Talk to a retailer like Rick said, or if you know who installed it, talk to them.

With the gauges "Going Crazy" it sounds like something shorted out. That's not typical of a security system activation/failure. Good research 'Space.

The only security measures on 5th gen Monte's that were factory installed was Theftlock on the radio and Passkey II. If it was, in fact Passkey kicking in, it wouldn't have started with the second key at all. Once it is kicked in, it is kicked in. Is everything STOCK on the car or is/ was there aftermarket cd player/alarm/remote start?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Default RE: Problem with Mr Monte

Thanks for the replys guys.
I have just removed the drivers air bag ect down to the stering wheel unfortunatly i cant find my removal tool so i will get another tommorow and get thatlock cylinderremoved.
i am hoping the local lock smith could provide me with another.
i think its the cylinder rather than the theft system as it dosent even turn over and when i knocked it a bit it did start for a few seconds so hopefully its just the cylinder not reading the key (or maby just wishfull thinking)

if it is the theft system then ive just blown a couple grand as the car would be useless and there is no dealer on island.

ill keep you posted.