Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 monte...steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Default 2000 monte...steering problem?

I just bought a 2000 monte carlo and have a couple questions for the forum,,,1st,,when driving i can feel something in the steering,kinda like something may be loose in the steering..I had the front end checked and replaced both outer tie rods and balanced the front tires but its still there.kinda hard to explain i guess.it lined up good and runs straight ,doesn't pull or anything,,2nd,,when driving at around 55 mph or so i feel a miss or jerk ,,seems like where it is shifting into overdrive maybe,,thanks for any help guys.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Default RE: 2000 monte...steering problem?

Welcome to the forum Keghead....

Sounds like the ISS= Intermediate Steering Shaft, it is a known GM problem that has a TSB out on it that if it has not already been replaced is a freebie from GM. Do a search on this forum for the ISS TSB it will give you more specifics.

As far as the missing, disable the TC=Traction Control, if the problem goes away it's more than likely the TC relay. If it continues to do it it sounds like it's liked to your OD. I've read of similar issues but can't remember the specifics on what exactly with the OD system fails on these cars. I'll do a quick search to see what I can come up with for you. Let us know how it performs turning your TC off.

TVW

Old 05-25-2005, 02:51 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Welcome to the forum Keghead....

Sounds like the ISS= Intermediate Steering Shaft, it is a known GM problem that has a TSB out on it that if it has not already been replaced is a freebie from GM. Do a search on this forum for the ISS TSB it will give you more specifics.

As far as the missing, disable the TC=Traction Control, if the problem goes away it's more than likely the TC relay. If it continues to do it it sounds like it's liked to your OD. I've read of similar issues but can't remember the specifics on what exactly with the OD system fails on these cars. I'll do a quick search to see what I can come up with for you. Let us know how it performs turning your TC off.

TVW

Wow, you sound pretty knowledgeable about these Monte's. I hope I don't have any problems with it, but if I do, I know who to ask

Old 05-25-2005, 11:28 AM

lol........

What can I say, I love these cars. I've spent quite a bit of research time before and after I purchased mine..

Chevy_jj is way more knowledgeable than I though.

One of my resources is on lock down, but if memory serves my correctly the TC & OD relays are located on the trans behind a gasketed panel, it's more than likely one or the other.

Chevy_jj, would you happen to have specific OD/TC relay info handy regarding this?

Thanks
TVW

Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM

I searched the forum and it sounds exactly like the intermediate steering shaft problem...do you have to be the original owner to get this replaced from the dealer?

Old 05-25-2005, 02:08 PM

also...how do i disable the traction control?..thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Do you not have a TC switch by the shifter?

You may not have TC if you do not have the button. If not I would suspect it would be the OD relay.

Where oh where is Chevy_jj when you need em... lol He's a busy man.....

TVW

Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 PM

yeah youve got it on the intermediate steering shaft tvw. as far as the miss. you could have a pressure control solenoid that is bad, also one thing that gets neglected is the fuel filter. if you dont know the last time its been changed you should have it done. as far as the pcs a scanner can tell you alot and even though you may not have a light on you may have a code stored in the pcm. the dealer may be your best bet on this one. good luck.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:24 PM

yeah here we have the most unofficial mc experts in the world all at your fingertips. so be sure to use them.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 PM

Chevy,

On the pressure solenoid, would this only occur in top gear? Or would/could we see the same type of behavior through any or most all of the gearing? Where is the PCS located?

As always, thanks for your input and insight...

TVW

Quick Reply: 2000 monte...steering problem?