Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Interior/Dash Lights Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Default Interior/Dash Lights Problem

Hey guys, I'm new here and I figured you could help me out with some trouble I'm having.

I have a 1998 Monte Carlo, with around 180,000 miles on it. It went a little downhill recently, such as it had some trouble starting, the right blinker wouldn't work unless I held it up, brake lights wouldn't work, water pump problem, and intake/oil leak. I got it all fixed except for the intake, which the mechanic said wasn't too serious and I could hold off on fixing it for a while.

But now that I've gotten it back, I've had an electrical problem with the dash and radio. Its worked normally until I drove it the other night. The radio and clock won't display, but I can still change the volume and station, and the car remembers the station presets. The dash lights won't light up either, I can't see the gauges when I'm driving at night. But the gauges still work, the "Service engine soon" light lights up, the blinkers and hazards light in the dash, the roof dome light works, the cigarette lighter works, the lights on the mirror work, I can move the side mirror position, and the glove compartment light works as well.

Another weird thing is that when I turn the **** that turns on the headlights, the radio/clock lights up. But it only does so when the **** is stuck between two places.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thank you tons in advance.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The switch could be bad? Mabye check all your fuses as well.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, but we just got the blinker switch fixed and they didn't say anything about another one. I checked the fuses, but none of them coordinate with the lights that aren't working. The one that deals with the radio only deals with the radio. The one that does the dash, also does the cigarette lighter, which works.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 PM

I had a slightly similar problem on my 99 Grand Prix I used to have.

Turned out to be some fuse in the steering column or somehwere. Totally random problem. I figured it might be a fuse, checked all the ones in the fuse boxes. Took it into the dealer and they told me it was some fuse in some weird place. $100.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Sounds like the rheostat in your headlight switch is bad. It's what is used to dim the dash/clock when the headlights are on. I think I'm having a similar problem.