Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dash lights, temp. control lights, radio lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 PM
1 Year Member
Default Dash lights, temp. control lights, radio lights

<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Hello,

I have a 2003 M.C. SS. My message board flashed service engine soon. So I ran the code. It came back as Low Fuel Pressure. Changed fuel filter, and pressure regulator. It is still coming up as Low fuel pressure. The car runs great. No hesitations on acceleration. No hard starts. Now the dash lights, radio lights, and the temp. control lights come on when I first turn the key. After I start the car about two seconds later they dim out, and fast. Do I have a ground problem,or is it a relay problem? Could I be way off base? Everyone I talk to does not believe me, until they see it for themselves. Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
Roger

Last edited by rg9johns; 08-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM

I have an 02 MC SS with that exact same issue right now as well. Mainly does it at night. During the day it seems that they are working properly most of the time. I too would like some insight on this issue and what can be done about it.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM

rg9johns here is what I found that I am going to check out myself. But look under the Monte Carlo help section you can find almost any issue if you look deep enough.
here ya go gmcman101 and anyone else who has had this problem. I took everything apart and got my old one out so you could see what Im talking about. This is what causes the dash lights to go out at night but be on in the daytime.

STEP 1 : Take apart the dash to get to the dimmer switch, take the dimmer switch off. (All together, 6 screws)

STEP 2: Unhook the wire harness and look at the connectors, there is most likely a burnt connector as you see here in the top left. Theres your problem

Dec30_001-1.jpg

'03 SS
91' Camaro RS
'02 Z06

Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 AM
1 Year Member

Thank you. I have already replaced the light switch/dimmer switch. Still had the same problem. It ended up being the ambient light sensor on the dash. Took care of the problem. Found out it was pulling 5 amps. when it should only be pulling 2 or less amps. In any case it solved the problem. Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM

rg9johns how did you solve that ambient light sensor. I think it might be my issue as well, as I have looked into my headlight switch and its fine no issues there. So its leaving me to believe that it also could be my ambient light sensor too.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 AM
1 Year Member

djburke85,
I had a good friend (that is a mechanic) hook up his hand held diagnostic computer up to the car. Then we drove around as he went through line by line of code. He found out that my right front wheel sensor was bad, and found the ambient light sensor to be wrong. He said I would not of known it if the computer was not hooked up to it. I had to go to my local GM dealer to get the part, because Advance, AutoZone, O'reilly's, PepBoys, and Napa did not carry this part. It cost around $25.00, and took me about five min. to fix. She has been fine ever sense. Good luck, and I hope it solves your problem.

rg9johns

Old 06-13-2014, 05:23 PM

I'm having this same problem with the dash lights. At first it was off and on that they wouldn't work. Now it's been a year like that, day or night doesn't matter. Also I don't remember when the drl's went crazy. I read on here the drl's are supposed to be your high beams dimmed but from what I can remember mine have always been low beams on . Maybe my ambient light sensor was already bad when I got the car. Ive ordered a new one. It has thrown that code.Then I had an issue with my low beams going out. First the right side went. I replaced the bulb which didn't look burnt and it worked for two days. Then they started flickering, then gone. Now my multi switch broke again and now I can't even turn the high beams off and drive with just the fogs. I also have to disconnect the battery now when I turn the car off because the lights stay on. Wth is going on with this thing?????

Last edited by ronipooh; 06-15-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-27-2014, 08:56 AM
1 Year Member

ronipooh,

Once I changed out the sensor all my lights worked well, and still do. The ambient sensor controls a lot of things if not all of the lighting system.

rg9johns

Old 06-28-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by rg9johns
ronipooh,

Once I changed out the sensor all my lights worked well, and still do. The ambient sensor controls a lot of things if not all of the lighting system.

rg9johns
I replaced the sensor and my multifunction switch and still no interior lights at night. Must be the headlight switch. I've got a nearly new cat now with everything I've replaced on this thing. Thanks everyone on the forum for sharing your experiences. It has helped a lot

Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 AM

sorry for subject change but could not find a thread for this!, the red light lenses on inside door jam,safety light when door is open.mine do not work, never have,Im assuming they are supposed too?? also right side dash backlight for hot/cold sliders for ac/heat went out,how hard is this to replace?? thanks!!

Quick Reply: Dash lights, temp. control lights, radio lights