Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): How to: front strut mounts????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool on the alignment. Just wanted to make sure it was said (but sounds like you've got your alignment and tires issues in future plans).

And I understand those nuts are new, probably came with the struts is my guess?

As an FYI, I've grown to use deep well sockets a lot. I have a small bag of tools for when I hit the junk yards, in efforts to travel light but effective, it's more handy to have the deeps with me then the shallows, but I have additional tools in the car just in case. Typically, they are no issue. I just think those new nuts look a lot less beefy then the stock ones. More importantly:
- When you pop the hood at shows, they are infront of everybody (kinda like I hate the rusted top strut bearing plate on my Monte, so don't get me wrong, I live with my blemishes too). Getting the stock size hides the small rub marks exposed by the smaller nuts (or throw in a washer and lock washer combo).
- If you ever need to take them off in the future, you don't play the game "I'll swap them next time I take them off" and keep putting it off until finally you have trouble removing them.

Don't take it as picking on your work by any stretch (you did something a lot of people just don't do and leave to a shop, there is a heck of a lot to be said for live, learn and DIY). Just passing on a perspective for ya about them.

<sigh> OK, I'm done I swear. BTW, if you don't have new nuts for those struts, I might come to the nations with some clean ones from the junk yard and the tool kit to swap them when you're not looking lol!!

OK, I'm done for real.
</sigh>

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Cool on the alignment. Just wanted to make sure it was said (but sounds like you've got your alignment and tires issues in future plans).

And I understand those nuts are new, probably came with the struts is my guess?

As an FYI, I've grown to use deep well sockets a lot. I have a small bag of tools for when I hit the junk yards, in efforts to travel light but effective, it's more handy to have the deeps with me then the shallows, but I have additional tools in the car just in case. Typically, they are no issue. I just think those new nuts look a lot less beefy then the stock ones. More importantly:
- When you pop the hood at shows, they are infront of everybody (kinda like I hate the rusted top strut bearing plate on my Monte, so don't get me wrong, I live with my blemishes too). Getting the stock size hides the small rub marks exposed by the smaller nuts (or throw in a washer and lock washer combo).
- If you ever need to take them off in the future, you don't play the game "I'll swap them next time I take them off" and keep putting it off until finally you have trouble removing them.

Don't take it as picking on your work by any stretch (you did something a lot of people just don't do and leave to a shop, there is a heck of a lot to be said for live, learn and DIY). Just passing on a perspective for ya about them.

<sigh> OK, I'm done I swear. BTW, if you don't have new nuts for those struts, I might come to the nations with some clean ones from the junk yard and the tool kit to swap them when you're not looking lol!!

OK, I'm done for real.
</sigh>
its ok!
I was going to switch them for the originals but its a big color difference. the originals are silver, new ones are yellow. It will look silly to have two different nuts. I'll be putting some sort of cap over them eventually, it should hide the dirt ring.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, you did it! Sounded like it was a real PITA. Your old ones were shot for sure. Yeah for you and your Monte. Nice photo's too.