Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th gen rear strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Default 7th gen rear strut mounts

Hey guys

I had to have my rear struts replaced while out of town, due to one failing and broken spring. The shop that did it was in vegas and it was late night. When they were installing them, they overtightened and broke at least one bolt per side. They beat the crap out of my old ones to get bolts out and also beat the heck out of the new ones to remove broken ones.

So I'm back in the bay area and I hear a rattle. Look in trunk and find another broken bolt, so two bolts holding mount now.

Question is, how difficult would it be for me to change just the mounts at home? Would i need anything special other than spring compressor?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 PM

never done the job myself on a monte but rear struts are not normally very difficult. i think the garage that did the work on it should be held responsible for it though

Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Wow that would be a long drive back for warranty. I would call the bastards and demand satisfaction, tell them you will have it fixed where you are and the bill will be sent to them. Or bite the bullet and call it a learning experience. Rear strut mounts are not hard at all would take an amature a nice afternoon and about 4 beers to complete. Just make sure you keep track of the position of the mount on the spring, I think it sits a certain way. Once you get them installed and tightened up I would spray some rust check spray up in there all over the inside of the strut tower and the mount. Just so there isn't any bare metal.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:46 PM

I don't understand why they would have to bang the struts out. And how do you break a bolt over tightening? Just snug them in with a ratchet. I have 200000 on my struts since I changed them out and know problems other than rust on the rear strut towers( my fault though I didn't spray anything on the towers when I was done)

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Hey guys

Quick Update:

I was fully reimbursed and sent to an affiliate shop to have new ones installed free of charge. Turns out that KYB had a bad batch of mounts and they had multiple issues same as mine. The new ones are installed and work and sound perfectly. Basically I received free struts!

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM

i cant fix the leak in my trunk....but now that ive almost got it ive noticed that there is a rust spot on top inside left rear of trunk on top of rear strut tower is that what you are saying about the rust.....i hoping that this is not going to rust all the way through and being some serious money to fix here soon....i thought of tacking some new metal around it any suggestion what type of how thick of metal....ahhhhhh what a pita!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

how do i start my own thread?????