Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help with 2002 3.4 V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Default RE: Help with 2002 3.4 V6

The website didn't come up with a recall for the 2002, but they didn't come up with one for 2003 either, and I think someone said there was one for that year, so I don't know. My uncle owns a custom bike shop and has alot of mechanic friends, so we're going to have him reccommend somebody and my mom is going to try to have it in a shop by the end of the week. It's so frustrating to be out of country and being able to do nothing but research the problem and pay for the work. I'd much rather be back in the states and be hands on, but I won't be back until June, and I hope to have it fixed and sold by then. As a side note, if you know anyone in the area looking... LoL. Thanks again for all the help. I apologize if any of my answers seem delayed, but there's an 11 hour time difference between here and CST, and my schedule is a little unpredictable.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Krista!
I used to own a 99 grand am with the 3.4litre engine. On the Pontiac GrandAm / Oldsmobile Alero forums, the officialtechnical service bulletinfor the leaky Lower Intake Manifold gasket, covered 99-01 models with the 3.4 engine. But 99% of 3.4 owners with 1999-2004 models had the leaky LIM gasket problem. Not 100% sure about the Montes, but with the grand am & alero, it was not an official recall. It was a technical service bulletin. Main difference being a recall is free (for you). A T.S.B. acknowledges there's a known problem, but you have to pay for the repair.

Oh yeah...

If your LIM gasket was leaking, you should notice oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:53 AM

My mom is going to pull the oil and see how it looks since she's been running it a little again, and last time she didn't know to look for little bubbles, she thought any water or coolant in the oil would seperate from it and be obvious, and do a radiator flush, last time she just drained it and put new stuff in, we'll see how that turns out. She's also going to call Chevy about the issue, see what they say and if maybe we can get a diagnostic at a dealership out of them or something. If not, oh well, it'll go to one of the guys in town that either my mom or my uncle has worked with before.

Again, thanks for all the help, I just wish I could be at home to help with all this.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM

I really doubt that chevy will be a help to you because i dont think they wanna pay to fix it anymore than you do. i had to fix my 3100 3 times, the first time it was the factory gaskets, then the replacements went the next summer, then the next summer i guess to be fair a head cracked on it but the intake still needed done... i dont know if anyone knows for sure or not but i think cracking heads is also an issue on the 3400 because its pretty much a 3100. but it is way more likey that it is just an intake gasket

Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: FazWich

The website didn't come up with a recall for the 2002, but they didn't come up with one for 2003 either, and I think someone said there was one for that year, so I don't know. My uncle owns a custom bike shop and has alot of mechanic friends, so we're going to have him reccommend somebody and my mom is going to try to have it in a shop by the end of the week. It's so frustrating to be out of country and being able to do nothing but research the problem and pay for the work. I'd much rather be back in the states and be hands on, but I won't be back until June, and I hope to have it fixed and sold by then. As a side note, if you know anyone in the area looking... LoL. Thanks again for all the help. I apologize if any of my answers seem delayed, but there's an 11 hour time difference between here and CST, and my schedule is a little unpredictable.
Okay, I just wanted to suggest that for you. Thank you for serving our country. I understand the time difference, my brother is serving in Iraq right now and I try to catch him online all that I can. He serves with the 3rd (I think) Stryker division from Ft. Lewis, WA. I'm praying for all of you troops over in Iraq, Afghanistan, and everywhere else we have troops stationed. Good luck with your Monte, and stay safe over seas and come home soon!!! (As soon as the military lets you, which I hope is soon)

Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM

ok give the details on the car
year
make
model
location good phone number for some one to reach someone at.

hope ya come home safe. been there done that it is no fun. the only thing i can honeslty say is those damed sand spiders are not fun to fight with in the middel of the freken night in a hole. lol

keep your head down your almost there dont let somethign like this get to you. beign ther eis a good thing you dont have the stress of dealing with the idiot here at the dealership LOL
also pos tit in the for sale section here there is always soemone commign threw here looking to see what is for sale etc... if you have a photo of it or anythign like that post it also.
Later for now.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 AM

Details:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS, Automatic, Silver, Cloth seats, ummm... what else should I list when I want sell it, I don't sell many cars.

It's in Wylie, Texas right now, just outside DFW. I'm trying to get my mom to email me some pics so I can post those.

I didn't think I should post it in for sale until I had it ready to sale, are you saying I should post it now?

I plan on coming home safe, keeping a look out, getting really excited about every day that passes. Don't know how many of you are in Texas or Alabama (where I'm stationed out of), but maybe I'll get to see some of you someday.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM

I have a minute, so here's an Update:

The monte is, as we speak, on a trailer on it's way to a Certified Chevy dealership for a diagnostic. Please cross your fingers for me that they find it's a simple fix, that won't cost me more than a grand, and as soon as it's ready I can offer it to some worthy person in need af a Monte Carlo. The dealership is doing it's best to work with us, and they're being super friendly. Thanks guys!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 AM

OK, I need some advice. Here's the report:

The dealership called - bad news. The head gasket blew and he drove it until it over-heated several times. There is a rod gone and knocking - it needs a new motor. The dealership said they could get a used motor and install it with a 6 month warranty for $3300. He said that did include a little padding so it could be a little less.

What do you guys think I should do? Get a motor installed, shop around for a better price, or something else? Please offer any suggestions you have. Thanks.