Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help with 2002 3.4 V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Default Help with 2002 3.4 V6

I've been reading the forums, and you all sound very helpful. From what I've been reading, I believe I may be having the same Intake gasket problem others have talked about. My car is at the right mileage, and most of the symptoms sound the same. My problem is that I want to sell the car, so I don't want to spend alot of money fixing it. I refuse to sell a broken car to someone though. Is the intake gasket difficult to change yourself? I have quite a bit of mechanical experience, but most of it is on older cars with less electronics and such. On a more pessimistic note, if it is the head gasket, how difficult is that to change? Thank everyone for any responses!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Default RE: Help with 2002 3.4 V6

i did plenty of 2.8/3.1 and 3x00 motors ther not to bad
it will take a days work and if you never did one of them b4
it's alwayz nice to have a book handy to make sure you dont miss somthing or do something wrong
and as for gaskets i would go with fel-pro ones i never had problems with them

Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Brand:
Fel-Pro

ProductLine:
Fel-Pro Intake Manifold Gaskets

PartType:
Intake Manifold Gaskets

Part Number:
FEL-MS98003T

PortStyle:
Stock

GasketMaterial:
PermaDryPlus

Quantity:
Sold as a set.

Notes:

Set includes valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.

Are these the gaskets you're talking about? Thanks!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 AM

[align=center]Hi Krista, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.[/align][align=center]It was great to read that you don't want to sell it to someone[/align][align=center]with a problem with your Monte.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would have a certified mechanic check it out, &[/align][align=center]give you an estimate for the problem(s) found.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If it's to high and you decide to do it yourself, or with a friend ?,[/align][align=center]I would make sure you have the tools & equipment for the task.[/align][align=center]I would also suggest investing in Repair Manual.[/align][align=center]Wish you good luck, `Space[/align][align=center][:-]

[/align]

Zoom
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Total Car Care Paper Repair Manual, Model Specific Coverage, Simple Step By Step Procedures For Engine Overhaul, Chassis Electrical, Drive Train, Suspension, Steering And More, Including Trouble Codes And Electronic Engine Controls, GROUND SHIPPING ONLY

Fits: Front Wheel Drive.

FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS)

1997-2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo[/b]
C1028380
$24.93
[*][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2000-2000: 6Cyl 3.4L LS[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2000-2000: 6Cyl 3.8L SS[/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Source [:-][/align][*][align=center]http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/chevy-monte_carlo/repair_manual.html [/align]

Old 03-16-2008, 03:10 PM

yes thats the set that i was talking about there pretty good
and then you can get head gaskets if you have to
if i remember right you remove the power stering pump and then the intakes can come off you will have to remove the valve covers because this motors the lower intakes are part of the heads but ther eis not alot of stuff you have to remove b4 you can get a them

Old 03-16-2008, 07:14 PM

did they have a recall on this year also?

I know on the 03 version they did for the lower intake gaskets blowing out.
just answerd the other post

Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Before you start the ambitious project ... do yourself a favor ... try getting an Academy Award; first!

Call Chevy:
Question about your vehicle(s)?
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-222-1020.

Lay it on thick about how you KNOW there was a recall AFTER joining this Forum and being told by other Monte Carlo Owners to appeal to Chevy to have the car fixed because this is known to them as a Product Recall. Lay it on as thick as you know how ... just tell them ahead of time you aren't accepting NO HELP FROM CHEVY as an alternative to getting you dear Monte fixed for a leak they knew about but failed to tell you about until it was too late!

If I was you ... I'd tell them about all the vibrating crack babies you need to comfort at the free clinic and won't be able to make even one stop vibrating unless you have transportation that doesn't leak. Don't fail to mention your doggie that you bring to visit those in the Hospice that get their faces licked and feel better for a minute. And be sure to mention that if you worked at Customer Satisfaction for Chevy ... you'd have stayed late every night until ever single Monte Carlo Owner knew about the recall because you'd have personally spoken to each and every one of them!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:02 PM

dont forget your a VET in the middel of a war and you ahve to have reliabel transportaion so that you can get to work to save thier collective ***** from harm.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM

i remember them having a recall on the older ones but not sure what would be considered the older ones because gm changed the intake gasket material at one point and that was the fix but again not sure on the year they started

Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 AM

The best way to check for a recall: http://www.nhtsa.gov and have the last eight digits of your VIN handy. It's user friendly and there will be a production sequence for instance: K89947B3-K9994738 (no idea if those are even correct VIN patterns) anything between those numbers is affected by the recall. ) It's always nice to check for recalls. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Help with 2002 3.4 V6