Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 swap from 2002 Bonnieville SSEI into 2002 monte LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Default L67 swap from 2002 Bonnieville SSEI into 2002 monte LS

I'm having difficulties with this swap (photos coming after work tomorrow).
The main problem i am having is that the engine is already in because when i was living in fl(currently in NJ) my dad did the swap and when i recently moved back I am helping him. Basically from what he told me his friend took out the security system with the button start on the key, and they took the wiring harness from another car i forget which and using that.
I need help finding the right way to get everything working and also where i can find the harness and any parts i may need to get it starting!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Unikardo
I'm having difficulties with this swap (photos coming after work tomorrow).
The main problem i am having is that the engine is already in because when i was living in fl(currently in NJ) my dad did the swap and when i recently moved back I am helping him.
Why is it a problem that the engine is in? Is something wrong with it, or how it was installed? If the only problem is wiring, it shouldn't really matter if the engine is completely in or not.

Basically from what he told me his friend took out the security system with the button start on the key, and they took the wiring harness from another car i forget which and using that.
Which security system is that- factory or aftermarket? You'll need to find out what car the harness is from unless you plan to scrap the current wiring completely.

What happened to your dad and his friend? Did they abandon the project for you to complete it?

I need help finding the right way to get everything working and also where i can find the harness and any parts i may need to get it starting!
I hate to say it, but we won't be able to help you much without a ton more details. You say the engine is in- does that mean that mechanically everything is connected back together? If not, what still needs to be hooked up? That will tell us what parts you're missing.

As for the wiring, we'll need to know what has been changed (interior/ engine bay harness, etc) to be of any help. What engine did your car have originally?

I'm not as familiar with the swaps on 6th gen montes- but I would think your best bet is to go to a junkyard and get a 3800 harness from the same general year monte. That'll be plug and play to the car's body, and to 99% of the engine. Only real difference is the BBV (you can always just delete the electrical part of it if you want) and MAP location (just extend the wires). It shouldn't be a particularly difficult wiring job.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM

The problem isnt that it is in, Just i dont know what they did to it before it got in.

I've done a little bit of research on the 6th gen, and the 04 and 05 SS editions had the L67 stock but not the 00-03 model.

My dad was telling me that the two silver lines on top of the engine is the fuel lines one going to the engine and one taking it back to the tank.

Not everything is connected, they dont have a fan nor have a radiator. Also, the wiring harness they have is jerry rigged im looking into getting an actual L67 harness.

Original engine was a LA1

Lastly the security system was after market.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Unikardo
I've done a little bit of research on the 6th gen, and the 04 and 05 SS editions had the L67 stock but not the 00-03 model.
That doesn't really matter as the L36 (NA 3800) is virtually identical wiring wise, hence why I suggested getting a harness from one of them. Pick up any 3800 harness for a 6th gen monte, and you should be close to wired up and ready to go.

Only 2 plugs are different between the L36 and L67- and one of them (BBV) isn't even necessary. The Bonneville has some things in slightly different places, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

My dad was telling me that the two silver lines on top of the engine is the fuel lines one going to the engine and one taking it back to the tank.
That is rather funny you post that image as it's my engine sitting on the floor of my old apartment.

You are correct that the two blue arrows point to the fuel rail connections. The one on the right is larger, and is the feed line. The one on the left is smaller and is the return (see how it comes out of the bottom of the FPR).

You'll just need to hook those up to your factory metal lines. If your stock lines won't reach, you have a few options. The cheapest way is to connect them with fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. Many people have done this, but it isn't really the best way. As the metal hose ends aren't really made for using rubber hose- it is possible for them to leak, and fuel leaks often end up with a torched engine.

Other alternatives include running new plastic line, or converting the fittings over to AN to run flexible hose.

Not everything is connected, they dont have a fan nor have a radiator. Also, the wiring harness they have is jerry rigged im looking into getting an actual L67 harness.
Fans and radiator should be easy- where are your stock ones? If you don't have them, just stop by a junkyard and pick up new ones for cheap.

As for the wiring- I'd say step 1 is to rip all of that wiring back out. All it's going to do is cause problems. Again, forget the L67 harness- if you find one in a 6th gen monte, great- but that chances of that are slim as they're somewhat uncommon.

Grab an engine bay harness from any 3800 6th gen monte and it will mostly plug right up- and will only take minimal modification to work.

Lastly the security system was after market.
If it's already partially removed, you may as well just remove it all the way. Get the engine done first- and then worry about that later. You don't need any extra work to mess with as it sounds like you already have a big enough mess.

If you need more help, we really need 2 things:
1. A list of exactly what you need help figuring out. We understand you need help getting it running, but obviously you've already figured out some stuff it needs (wiring, radiator, fuel lines, fans). Without us being there, it's hard to tell what else you're missing, or what other specific problems you're having.
2. If you need more help- can you get some pictures of the engine as it sits? It's especially hard to provide more help without being able to get an idea of what all is going on and a picture really is worth a thousand words in this case.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-21-2014 at 10:03 PM.