Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Default fuel injectors

hello all i have a 2000 monte ss 3.8L i just bought from my brother in law before i got it the upper intake mani exploded so we put a new one on but the back injector on the passenger side of the engine sprayed gas out where it met the cylinder head so i put a new o ring on it and then it started spraying out of the fuel rail spot so i replaced that o ring put it back together and it still sprayed so i pulled the injector metal clip off and it stopped spraying and doesnt leak at all now....... my question is will it hurt to keep driving the car with out that metal clip on the injector?

thanks for the answers in advance

Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM

well it didnt leak until i drove a few blocks now its just a small leak doesnt spray just runs down the injector.... i noticed the little black cap on the bottom of the injector was cracked could that be the problem?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, since your UIM exploded, replace the fuel pressure regulator (it's in the fuel rail). This is a known issue, it fails in a manner allowing fuel/fuel vapors to bleed into the cylinders, filling the UIM, you start the car, give it spark and well, you know the end result.

In these cars, the 3800 non-supercharged (which you have), the injectors go into the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) not the heads.

As for your leak, it sounds to me that you are not getting the injector seated right. When putting the injector into the rail or the LIM, it can help the lube the o-ring with just a dab of oil or WD-40 to help it seat.

As for the plastic tip on the injector, that is known as the "pintle" (I believe that's how it's spelled). I've read you can run an injector without it and no issues. Not sure what the truth is (just something I read).

Lastly, and most important.... DON'T DRIVE WITH A KNOWN FUEL LEAK!!! Resolve this issue. This is a great way to start an engine fire. It's not safe for multiple reasons. Also, even thought the fuel rail itself should hold enough pressure to keep the injectors in place, i would not be comfortable with not using a known retaining bracket/clip for it.