Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Fuel Injectors failing??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Default Fuel Injectors failing??

Recently, My monte carlo seems to get stuck when I push on the gas... Gets stuck like it can't go.... even when im going 80 or so... But if I ride it smooth its fine... This can't be the tranny. I had my mechanic put special fuel injector cleaner in it but it didn't make a difference.... How much is this going to cost to replace the fuel injectors? Does this definately sound like fuel injectors or something else?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How old is the fuel filter? Sounds like a fuel quantity problem Enough fuel to cruze, but not enough when you mash the gas. Also, what "special" injector cleaner did he use, and how did he use it, or did he just dump some in the tank? The 1st sign of "dirty" injectors is a rough idle at a stop light.
And unless he power cleaned the injectors, the only cleaner worth a cr_p is Seafoam, and the you'd better "drive it like ya stole it" for the WHOLE tank. Mash the gas as opten as is possible. Don't get stupid and go fast, just mash the gas as much as you can.
Also, it might be the catalytic convertor. They won't throw a code either. The only way you can test one is to have it tested for back pressure by drilling a hole in the front and back. You can do a quick test by putting your hand over the exhaust and checking pressure, but do it cold.

Is it shifting OK? The cat will mess with that, also.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM

And unless he power cleaned the injectors
x2, for the most part- dumping stuff into the tank is pretty ineffective compared to a true injector cleaning machine.

I also don't believe the injectors are bad- obviously they're able to open and close if the car runs ok at idle & cruise, I don't see why they would have a hard time staying open longer with higher IPWs.

Why don't you have your mechanic get his scan tool, and actually go for a drive logging the various sensors. That should help you narrow down the actual problem rather than just replacing stuff until it gets fixed.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM

as bumpin said as well i doubt its the fuel injectors. rockn also has a good point about the cats... ignition, fuel, back pressure, even air can cause what your describing. scan tool time!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 AM

I just read on the s10 forum people using seafoam (about 1/3 to 2/3 a can) in their brake line vacuum hose while the engines running, then killing it, letting it sit for an hour or 2 then starting the truck and letting it idle for however long it takes to get the smoke out the exhaust. This is supposedly what people are doing to clean their intake systems and fuel injectors and it seems to work pretty damn well. I have about 100k on my truck so imma go ahead and give it a shot too. Not too sure how many miles you have on your ride but maybe look into it?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:26 AM

basically sounds like it's time for a general tune up, which is pretty much what everyone described here. check: fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, clean the intake system. then if you still run crappy then it's time to dig deeper and address the injectors etc.

i've heard good things about the 3m intake system cleaner, just google this: 3M™ Do-It-Yourself Fuel System Tune-Up Kit, 08963

Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Definitely sounds like it's time for a tune-up and to check the cat.
Which engine do you have? What year and how many miles on the car?

The in-tank cleaners don't do much, but using quality gasoline and using an injector cleaner in the tank helps keep everything clean as a preventative maintenance.

Running seafoam through the brake booster won't clean the injectors. It will clean the hell out of the intake valves though.
The only way to truly clean the injectors is to have the little filter basket in the injector replaced, and to have the injectors sonicated and flushed and backflushed with solvents.

-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 05-15-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Haha well it was worth a try. It sounded good for a minute. I'm actually in the process of doing it though on my xtreme. smoke everywhere. I guess when i throw a new motor in my truck i'll maybe just replace those fuel injectors instead of trying to clean them. Any idea how expensive those fuel injector spiders are?