Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New issues that started with the cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New issues that started with the cold weather

Hay Guys,
Gonna start this with some Good News.
I went to a local Midus Muffler shop about putting in a pipe to replace the resonator. The price was good, $125 installed, but I didn't like the Mechanic. He talked to me like I know nothing about cars. Even though I explained to him that I have been working on them since before he was a sperm. He won't be getting my $$$!
But as I was leaving, I noticed Little Ferry Transmissions, So I walked in and talked with the owner Frank, who had no problem talking with me while pulling a trans out of a Buick. So I explain my trans issues and the CEL. I Also told him about T.E.P.. He said he had never heard of them and said no more about them. But he stopped what he was doing and brought me over to his work bench and showed me the 4T65e he was working on for a Buick. Then explained to me how to get to it and what to look for. (The TCC that is) we talked possible problems and fixes and his New Tech II scanner he got cause he works on So many Chevy Trans-es. Frank spoke to me Mechanic to Mechanic.If you want to work on My Baby to get my $$$, that's the language to speak. Frank and his boys will be seeing me and YelloJAC again.

OK So my new issue,
I've got a slight bog at idle. It's not causing a driveability issue at all, I just know that it's indicative if some major problem to come. There is Also a slight smell of gas when the car is idling. But the EVAPs was serviced, new motor and canister in Apr. 2012. I checked for fuel leaks in the engine compartment and found none. I do have a Bank 1 O2 sensor lean code. And I'm getting about 19.7 MPG. Since the CEL lit up. I was averaging 22 with just the TCC code. The Cat was replaced in Feb. With a Magnaflow free flow cat. The old one smelled badly.
So I'm thinking replace the O2 sensor and this issue will be fixed. But since I am new to this car, 19 months and a lot of other repairs, I have to ask you, The Experts, if you feel my logic is sound? Does anyone think it could be something other than the O2 sensors? I gotta have it all done, No CEL codes, exhaust and Trans fixed by the end of Apr. for NJ inspection!

Last edited by JC Colon; 12-07-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be a MAF. Does it idle rough after just starting up? Or do you find it idling rough only after driving it and bringing the RPM back down? I've had that problem with a 3800 in a Buick.

But your logic is sound and if you oxygen's are old, change 'em. On these cars and all car these days, oxygen sensors are a maintenance item that needs regular replacement. Oxygen sensor manufacturers (who have the most to gain by saying so) recommend replacement every 80,000 kms (they says kms where I'm from)

Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
It could be a MAF. Does it idle rough after just starting up? Or do you find it idling rough only after driving it and bringing the RPM back down? I've had that problem with a 3800 in a Buick.

But your logic is sound and if you oxygen's are old, change 'em. On these cars and all car these days, oxygen sensors are a maintenance item that needs regular replacement. Oxygen sensor manufacturers (who have the most to gain by saying so) recommend replacement every 80,000 kms (they says kms where I'm from)
Thanks Mr Sprint.
Although I will not say it can't be the MAS, I will say the MAS was replaced twice in early doing of this year. First because the original was shot. The second time cause the aftermarket replacement caused starting issues.
This Slight bog is like a Hiccup and it happens whenever the car is idling. Cold starts, sitting at a traffic light, doesn't matter. But it does start and drive fine. For a car with a Stuck open TCC that is. I don't know if the O2 sensors have ever been changed but I new from the condition of the old CAT, that the O2 before the CAT would be going soon.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

JC:
Try removeing the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) cleaning it and then replace it... My guess is all the dirt/grease that's in it is now starting to get hard and sticky.... thus binding it up. (its spring loaded)

That would be the first thing I would check!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member

Hi David,
I'll check the TPS as Well but I had it off several times in Aug. when I was trouble shooting the wiring from it to the ECM. The computer was getting a week signal from the TPS. I have 2 good TPS So I was swapping them back and forth. They were both in good condition at that time and I have since repaired the wires. But that has Also been a thought. I have checked the CEL and still only have codes for the TCC and O2. I know that doesn't mean the TPS could not be dirty, but it makes it less likely. It's all worth checking though to ensure no future issues can occur.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just curious before going forward, where do you smell gas?? Is it strictly the exhaust coming out the tail pipe, smells rich? If so, then it could be sensor related (like the upstream O2, the MAF, worn plugs, coil problem, or a host of other various gremlins).

But if you smell gas elsewhere, that it's NOT the exhaust smelling rich, look at the fuel lines under the car. I had a friend who's '97 Grand Prix never dripped gas while it idled and we looked at it, BUT, look at the lines and one of them was definitely leaking fuel as it was wet with fuel.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member

Hi Jason,
Most of the time the fuel smell is when sitting still. And it is very Faint. A Mechanic would notice it but not the average person. On ocassion I have smelled it while driving but only for a second or 2.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Do you happen to be running/useing the engine cover? It just maybe the fuel line where it connects to the fuel rail maybe leaking slightly. My 3800 did this very samething at idle yet while driving it was a non issue... Back then since it was still under warranty I took it into the dealer. Turns out it was the connector at the fuel rail.... I told the mechanic at thetime I checked that.... He also told me that when its running its under pressure and when its warm the fuel evaporates when it leaks...but it is very minor.
leak... When I got it back, He showed me the old one vs a new one and even though visiually you could barely see the difference .. It resolved the problem.. I haven't had any incab fumes since. That was 13 yrs ago.

As we all know even a "minor" spill of gasoline smells..a Lot.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member

I am using the engine cover. And in all honesty I haven't taken irregular of. I guess I should. But in all honesty I am very hesitant about working on my car in winter weather. Cold air, cold wind cold tools and cold parts. Mine not the car. That's Why I found a Pep Boys with mechanics I can trust. But I think I want to find the problem before I take it to them. Saves me $$$ when I just tell them what I want done. The weather here hasn't been very shade tree friendly. I guess I gotta deal with it though cause I prefer that if I take my Baby to a shop I know what wrong and what needs to be done for fix it before I go. I never actually thought about the fuel rail though. Just the EVAPs cause of where it's located. But That's Why I am here. To help and be helped. Unfortunately it all has to wait until after the holidays are over. But I will still check on all the areas you guys have mentioned. I'm Glad I have accessed the Brain that is MCF!