Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

fuel injectors: need cleaning or replacing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Default fuel injectors: need cleaning or replacing

what's the purpose of getting your fuel injectors cleaned? how would u know if your injectors needed to be cleaned or replaced? what would they cause your car to do?

Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Default RE: fuel injectors: need cleaning or replacing

Routine fuel injector cleaning will clear the system of carbon buildup or trash in the fuel making it's way past the filters.

Fuel injectors have moving parts(springs,needle seats & plungers) that eventually wear out. Replacement should be a part of your tune up after 80K or so.

I run Seafoam in my system often to keep my fuel system clean.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:56 PM

i use outlaw injection cleaner..i think that they call it small engine..or import engine or something..

Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM

thanks for responding, montejass, but how will dirty injectors make your car run in contrast to how it run with broken injectors or should i say injectors that need to be replaced. i am currently using seafoam and it is running a little better but should i still get them cleaned or replaced? my car has 87000 miles. how many miles does your monte has and what are some problems you are experiencing? i also have 22" rims and im scared its going to mess my transmissin up. you ever heard of something like this?

Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM

They are usually clogged or restricted by a buildup of fuel varnish deposits. This reduces the amount of fuel that the injector sprays, which in turn may cause the engine to run lean and misfire, hesitate or stall. The best way to minimize or eliminate the need for injector cleaning is to use a quality brand of gasoline that contains sufficient detergent to prevent varnish buildup. Most brand name gasolines today have enough detergent to do this. As a rule, premium grades usually contain a somewhat higher concentration of cleaners. Stay away from cheap off brand gas stations or plan on using an additive.

Is your car running bad now? If you have never had them cleaned I would start there and let the mechanic decide if they are at the replacement stage.

I have roughly 48K on mine and it runs like a champ...

Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM

well it all started from bad gas i put at an old BP station when i was running out of gas. i was on the highway and it was rubbibg good but soon as i stopped it started missing and hesitating. when i put it in park it quiets down alot but ib drive it misses like crazy. diagnostics keep saying cylinder 1 missfire. changed all plugs and wires and even coil pack. seafoam made it a lil better after a few days. how can i tell if its gone beyond the injectors and got worse like a cracked head or something bad like that?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:15 PM

If I were you, I would run a compression test on that cylinder? (while your there check them all out) If a compression test shows everything is cool I would yank the injector for inspection.

I take it you have changed all the fuel filters?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:37 PM

no, i was supposed to. i see you are good at monte quesions. thats good because i have plenty if u have the time. not just about the injectors, because u have basically told me exactly what to do about that problem. i just now need to know how to beef this baby up.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:02 PM

How do you replace the Fuel injectors on a 2001 monte ls

Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM

They are under the plenum on the 3.1 and 3.4 engines. Once you remove the plenum undo the fuel lines, injector wires and 4 bolts holding the fuel rail down. Then gently pry on the fuel rail to pop the injectors out of the intake. once that's done all you need to do is remove the clip holding the injector to the rail and pop the injector out of the rail. If you replacing them make sure to use new o-rings