Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): How do I swap a speedo gauge face?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How do I swap a speedo gauge face?

Ok, so I have a "limited edition" speedo gauge face I got from a guy on craigslist. The problem is I have no idea how to swap it out with the other one. I know how to remove the dash and take the cluster out, im just lost after that . Anyway, how would I go about swapping the face. Im not replacing the whole cluster. I simply just want to be able to take mine out, put new one on and put it back together without breaking anything or screwing anything up.

How would I go about doing this?

All feedback is greatly appreciated

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Before you take the cluster out start the car and let it idle down. Then once it idles down take a pic of the gauge's so you can know the location. I took a pic of my gauges with the car running and one with the key turned to the ACC. Then you can take out the cluster. Once you get it out there are about 4-6 tabs holding the front cover on they just use a flathead or something to press the tabs and slide the front cover off. After you take the cover off you can use a fork to remove the needles. Just slide the fork under the needle and lift up. You might have to slightly rock them side-to-side be careful you dont wanna damage the stepper motor while doing this. I forgot to mention before you remove the needles turn them fully clockwise then counter clockwise till they cant move then take off the needles. Once you get the needles off the gauge overlay just peels off now you can put on your new overlay. Before you put your needles back on plug in the cluster and turn the key to ACC this 0's the gauges while its pluged in and turned on you can put all the needles back on just remember to use the pic you took with the key turned to the ACC. You might have to remove some needles a few times to make sure the are at the right position.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by shotime105
Before you take the cluster out start the car and let it idle down. Then once it idles down take a pic of the gauge's so you can know the location. I took a pic of my gauges with the car running and one with the key turned to the ACC. Then you can take out the cluster. Once you get it out there are about 4-6 tabs holding the front cover on they just use a flathead or something to press the tabs and slide the front cover off. After you take the cover off you can use a fork to remove the needles. Just slide the fork under the needle and lift up. You might have to slightly rock them side-to-side be careful you dont wanna damage the stepper motor while doing this. I forgot to mention before you remove the needles turn them fully clockwise then counter clockwise till they cant move then take off the needles. Once you get the needles off the gauge overlay just peels off now So you can put on your new overlay. Before you put your needles back on plug in the cluster and turn the key to ACC this 0's the gauges while its pluged in and turned on you can put all the needles back on just remember to use the pic you took with the key turned to the ACC. You might have to remove some needles a few times to make sure the are at the right position.
When you say "front cover", do you mean the glass cover? And the gauge face peels off? When I put the new one in do I need to glue it on? Thanks for the help

Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by TMoney
When you say "front cover", do you mean the glass cover? And the gauge face peels off? When I put the new one in do I need to glue it on? Thanks for the help
Yes the glass and the gauge peels off. Your new gauge face should have some type of adhesive on it.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by shotime105
Yes the glass and the gauge peels off. Your new gauge face should have some type of adhesive on it.
Oh didnt know there are tabs holding the front glass/plastic on. But how would I remove the old one and put the new one in. There is an outline around the speedo and I cant seem to figure out how it would come out.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

And where are the tabs to remove the glass. Ive heard the glass is glued on not held on by tabs. Are they screws?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

And where are the tabs to remove the glass. Ive heard the glass is glued on not held on by tabs. Are they screws?
The tabs are sticking thru the white part , the black part has the glass in it.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Oh didnt know there are tabs holding the front glass/plastic on. But how would I remove the old one and put the new one in. There is an outline around the speedo and I cant seem to figure out how it would come out.

Here's a pic before you remove part with glass..

After you remove the black part with glass it looks like this. I changed mine to say Supercharged.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
Here's a pic before you remove part with glass..

After you remove the black part with glass it looks like this. I changed mine to say Supercharged.

Ahhh, I get it now. Only question I have left is how can I ensure the used limited edition one I will be putting in will stay? It does t have any adhesive on the back

Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I swapped mine for the limited edition one. I used a hair dryer to help loosen the adhesive and peel it off. Between the adhesive on the limited edition one and the adhesive left on my cluster, it sticks with zero problems.