New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Face in Town

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Default New Face in Town

Hi everybody! I've been reading the posts and you all seem to know more than the guys at the shop I use. First let me start by saying take it easy on me PLEASE!!! I don't havethat much mechanical experience (just the usual tinkering around with my dad) and no way of working on my car soooo... It's off to the shop I go. I've wanted a Monte ever since I got my license (17 years ago) and I finally got one. I boughta 2002 SS with the 3.8 V-6 engine in May. Black with the silver ground works, black leather, sweet stereo that my bf designed.

I've been having problems with it bogging down when I accelerate andwith the engine light coming on. After reading all of the posts it seems that I'm not the only on with this pproblem. I have replaced both mufflers with Flow Master 40's, a MagnaFlow CAT and K&N air filter.I've had 2 diagnostics run on it (the back pressure ones not the quicky at Autozone) and every time it comes up saying that my CAT is badand all of the sensors are good. Sothe guys at the shop I take it to told me I needed to take it to the dealer and have them put anoriginal one on(yeah right $900 bucks? I don't think so) and that it would fix the problem.I had the MagnaFlow put on but that stupid light just keeps coming on. I've driven it well over 300 miles since it came on the last time and now it's just frustrating the hell out of me.

Any ideas where to go next? Thanx for any help!!![sm=devilangel.gif]

Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Default RE: New Face in Town

first off welcome to the bord, nice to see a lady in here we dont get to many of them .

Also the guys in your shop are smoking crack. if what your saying is that you have changed out the cat.
If this is the case then what you need to do is put a 02 sensor simulator on there and it will stop the light form comming on for you.
the issue is that when you change the Cat out on your car the computer reads it and it comes up as a bad readding . your car is running to good for the stock sensor on there. is the easiest way to say it. so your computer comes up saying somethign is wrong. and therefor the code comes up.

if you look threw the site and find the thread on the new downpipe that Monte jazz put in his car and a few others did you can read that they were having the same issues with thier. this is also not the only type of cars i have seen do this. we have a cavalier in the club doign the same thing.

as far as the Monte it's self gose Congrats. welcome to the monte family.
thorw some photos on the site soe we can see it's shinny face.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 AM

Welcome to the Official Unofficial Monte Carlo Forum, Jennifer. I am pleased to see another person from Las Vegas here (I'm on the east side...you?). I was the only one for quite a while. You don't have to worry about us not taking it easy on you. We pride ourselves on being a dedicated "*****-Free Zone." Anything you need help with, just search the threads. If you can't find it there, just ask us. We are here to help.

Mickey's right, though. Great to see another lady on the board. Please post pics as soon as you can. You sound like you have a nice ride and take pride in it.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, welcome to the site

doesn't sound like you have a bad catyltic converter, just sounds like the computer doesn't like the high flow one you have on there, and like mickey said an o2 simulator should fix that which i think i'm gonna have to invest in soon

post pics of the monte

Old 01-04-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanx for all of the help guys!!! [sm=Awwww.gif] Now it's just a matter of finding someone to do it for me...

I'll get pics up this weekend sometime.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J
Great to see another lady on the board. Please post pics as soon as you can.
This could be taken a few ways... I thought this was a MC forum not a dating service and she also mentioned she had a BF install the stereo, so good luck onthat one Jason.

Welcome to the site Jennifer. It sounds like you had a Magnaflow cat installed and that shouldn't bog the car down. I agree with the others, just pick up an O2 simulator for $30 and that should clear up the problem.

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...oduct_Count=17

Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM

your NutZ 04. lol
yeah it could be taken several ways but it wasent read that way.
till you planted it in our inocent minds none of us would have ever thought of it.lol

Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah 04!!! such a dirty mind!!! lol jk

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM

THAT'S IT GET THE DIRTY MOP WATER!!! WE HAVE A CAR TO WASH!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM

LOL...Hey, while you're at it, would you guys mindwashing mine?
Mind that is...I can handle washing my 44's.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Quick Reply: New Face in Town