Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

speedo gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Default speedo gauge

hi i guess this would be the rite post area i cant get a correct reading on how fast myengineis going in other word my speedometer gauge is not working properly any one else have this problem? here is the story one day on the freeway i looked down and noticed the mph was at zero now just to other day i was parked talking to my friend and she asked why my car did that is said what so i looked at saw the mph was at 70 wierd now it is actin funny im driving down my street it reads 40 when i know for a fact im only going about 15 its a 2005 ls model is thes common???

Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Default RE: speedo gauge

Hi Enrique,
Sorry that you are having problems with your Monte : (
[align=center]The problemcould bea bad stepper motor on the back of the speedometer. I've read several post on the web that[/align][align=center]the motor that control's the speedometer can short[/align][align=center]out, and then go out completely.[/align][align=center]I've read repair cost from $300 + : ([/align][align=center]The cluster has to be removed & the stepper motor[/align][align=center]replaced. Several GM products have had this problem : ([/align][align=center]I hope your 05 is still under warranty.[/align][align=center]I would check with your Dealer's Service Dept [/align][align=center]to get an estimate on repairs.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM

thanks for the info and yea still got like 3k till warranty expires the thing is that it sometimes will be normal then do what i described hope it does it again soon then i will take it to dealer while gauge is actin up thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Write-up a detailed description of the trouble you are having with your Speedo and Date it and put the Mileage on it and bring that with you to yoaur dealership's Service Department and have them put it in your file. That way, you'll have submitted the trouble report to them while your Monte Carlo is still covered and will have a record of the problem occurring BEFORE the Warranty expires.

If youth think you are going to be having some issues with your car ... you might want to consider buying an Extended Warranty. One came with my Monte and it already saved me almost 5-hundred dollars when I had to have a Turn Signal Stalk replaced.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM

use our search engine...many have had this type of problem