Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Gorilla Flex! I hope the Monte can handle this

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BuddeOs
Looks like the sound killer stuff u laid down worked out pretty well. Some systems just ruin it for me when I hear more exterior metal rattling than bass.
Agreed 100%. That's an absolute no-no for me....that's not to say that I don't have a few rattles here and there but they are very minor. The biggest one was the rear bumper cover, but i've figured out how to handle that one so it's a non-issue.

Originally Posted by Justin
whats your db do you know?
I don't...haven't gotten it metered yet but hopefully I can soon. If I had to guess I'd say low 140's

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

i guess thats kinda good. my 1 15 RE the mt series was in the low 150's at 41 hz

Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM

i guess thats kinda good. my 1 15 RE the mt series was in the low 150's at 41 hz
But you didn't hit that number on a TL meter with your car sealed up and the mic on the dash....i'd be willing to bet that that's an outlaw score so we're not comparing apples to apples because as i'm sure you know...scores recorded legal (sealed on the dash) are significantly lower than outlaw scores considering the mic is placed just a few inches from the port. I think you'd be lucky to hit mid 140's out of your trunk with a single 15, legal, and thats with a ton of power! Cause if you're talking about your current setup, that amp does 900rms when bridged so I can guarantee you that your single 15 on 900 rms is nowhere near as loud as my 2 12's on 1600+ rms.

I'm not thinking I have the loudest car or anything like that, just pointing out the fact that i'm guessing what my car could do legally while you're comparing what your car did outlaw so people who are reading this don't get the wrong idea and think that a single 15" sub will smash on 2 12's as bad as this example here. Cause the truth is that if we both had 900rms to run on our sub(s), my 2 12's would be louder than your single 15 9 times out of 10 cause I have way more cone area than you so i'm able to move more air, which creates higher spl.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Yeah 04montels you done good, I like your style. Clean and Deep 100% bass, and you can tell in the vid.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM

no your right it was outlaw that i did when i hit that number. i had it done at a db drag here in minnesota at a comp it was just for fun. and the way that works is the car has to be all sealed up and the motor off, and you can sit in the car if your under a 140 db in the street class. and i babied the volume and hit a 139.8 not sure what the meter is that is used for db drag, but it was on the dash. i made it to the second round and then the people were louder in the second round and i couldn't go over the 140 db with out being disqualitfyed, and i know thats dumb but its the rules. so i figured that if im going to lose im going out big then. so i just left my car running with the drivers door open, and the mic was on the passenger side floor by the kick pannel,went to track 41 on my usaci cd. and went ***** out and hit a 150.2 db

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM

the subs i had before my 15 was 2 crystal comp x2 those were badass subs. have you ever heard of them before? i had them in a 93 hatch back mustang running off my lanzar 500.2 briged down to 1 ohm. and i hit a 152.5 and 34hz outlaw. i loved it but over time it starts messing with your car when your that loud and in the low 30hz range. heres a pic and the stats on them.http://www.crystalmobilesound.com/comp%20x212.htm
12" Competition Grade Subwoofer
Cast Aluminum Frame, Chrome Plated
Dual Stacked 100 oz. Magnets
1600 Watts RMS Power Handling @ 2 Ohms
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils
Multi-layer Kevlar® Filled Cone
Santoprene ® Surround
Three Progressive Roll Spiders

Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by BuddeOs
Yeah 04montels you done good, I like your style. Clean and Deep 100% bass, and you can tell in the vid.
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. I pride myself on having a strong sub stage but also a strong front stage that doesn't get drowned out by the bass. I tend to refer to it as SQL, basically a blend of SQ with SPL. But yeah, the mids and highs are crisp and clean and get decently loud.....hopefully I'll be getting a new video camera here pretty soon so you'll get a better idea at how my system really sounds.

no your right it was outlaw that i did when i hit that number.

and the way that works is the car has to be all sealed up and the motor off, and you can sit in the car if your under a 140 db in the street class. and i babied the volume and hit a 139.8 not sure what the meter is that is used for db drag, but it was on the dash. i made it to the second round and then the people were louder in the second round and i couldn't go over the 140 db with out being disqualitfyed, and i know thats dumb but its the rules. so i figured that if im going to lose im going out big then. so i just left my car running with the drivers door open, and the mic was on the passenger side floor by the kick pannel,went to track 41 on my usaci cd. and went ***** out and hit a 150.2 db
yep, you were bass racing. if it was a db drag event they use a TL and place the mic on the windshield about 6" above the dash, you were running in the 139.9 bracket where if you go above that it's considered a "break out". If you can bass race 39.9's then generally your car can do low to mid 140's....there are guys who can bass race 49.9's that compete in 29.9 and 39.9 classes too, which I think is complete bs but it is what it is.

But yeah man, I can't wait to get metered. I want to see what I do with this setup as compared to the custom box i'm gonna build for it.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 AM

Yeah, I met him before. In person he's alright but online he's a *****. I used to be a member on his forum but I don't get along with nuthuggers and his site is full of them. I heard his truck before he put in the SMD 18's and that **** is retarded loud, it's insane! The ride back home sucked though cause my 12's sounded like 6.5's after hearing his truck

Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. I pride myself on having a strong sub stage but also a strong front stage that doesn't get drowned out by the bass. I tend to refer to it as SQL, basically a blend of SQ with SPL. But yeah, the mids and highs are crisp and clean and get decently loud.....hopefully I'll be getting a new video camera here pretty soon so you'll get a better idea at how my system really sounds.
Yeah front stage is all I like, I'm not a bass guy. I'm looking to replace my 6.5's soon but my 6x9's still kick. I have one of those older (like 8 year old) kicker amps here that I would hate to get rid of. I just like a nice even amount of everything, and still keep it close to making your ears bleed.