Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you trained to drive a 600+Horsepower auto ?
Yes, I'm trained & Capable
27.78%
No, I think I would get training @ a driver's school
16.67%
I would learn from trial & error : ) It's my right : )
55.56%
I think Everyone with a HighPerformance Car should be required to have Training
38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

High Performance Cars: Can U handle one without Training/Experience ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question High Performance Cars: Can U handle one without Training/Experience ?

Hi Member's,
Do you think owner(s) of High Performance
Cars should have professional Training ?
or should a dealer sell a 600HP +
vehicle to anyBody ?
(let them learn on public roads by
trial & error) ?

Do you consider youself a Professional Driver ? Can you honestly handle
500/600/800 + HorsePower
Why purchase a 200 MPH + ride `if
your not going to use it ?
or be able to handle `it ?
Do you think you could jump in2 a
new ZR`1 & race someone (safely) ?
or other exotic Super Cars ?

Post your thoughts ?
Thank You

See if you can go over 200 MPH on the interstate &
hope that no one gets in your way & that
you will be able to handle the power.
It's your right ? Right

The car you drive to work and use for daily errands differs greatly from a high-performance car. These specific vehicles have powerful engines, responsive brakes and a body that is designed with aerodynamic concerns in mind. You can increase the quality of your driving experience when you learn to drive a high-performance car.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Instructions
  1. Step 1

Attain comfort with the highly responsive steering of a high-performance car before you hit the road. High-performance vehicles have sensitive steering to help you navigate around sharp corners and deal with adverse road conditions.
  2. Step 2

Seek out a qualified driving instructor who can help you learn to drive a high-performance car. Former racing professionals and experienced instructors will impart a long list of stories to help you anticipate problems in expensive vehicles.

3. Step 3

Witness street and track races with high-performance cars in person to see how professionals handle their vehicles. The accessibility of drivers after professional races allows you to ask questions that will help you learn to control cars at high speeds.

4. Step 4

Experiment with courses at regional racing schools to learn braking, acceleration and management of a high-performance car. You should take one-day seminars at these schools to find the best instructional methods for your needs.

5. Step 5

Study ways to pass other cars in your performance vehicle without getting into an accident. A skilled driver can refrain from constantly using the overwhelming power of a race car and pick the right time to accelerate past competitors.

6. Step 6

Ride with an experienced driver to test out your skills in a high-performance car. An objective observer can comment on your handling of a vehicle and point out signs of common problems that race drivers face on the track.

7. Step 7

Schedule time with a drifting instructor to learn proper steering, braking and focus in a high-performance car. Drifting involves the use of extreme acceleration and turning to make a vehicle rotate along an imaginary circle.

8. Step 8

Break the habit of using your right foot for braking and accelerating as you learn to drive a high-performance car. You can effectively manage quick turns and drifts on the track by using your left foot for braking.

Last edited by Space; 01-11-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I think they should offer a course by the insurance company to teach better driving skills to those who need it. If the insurance companies offered these courses, and offered good discounts on car insurance because someone took the course, then people would probably do it, just to get the discount.

Personally, 500 HP would not be a probelm. I've never driven anything with more than 500 HP, but I don't think i'd have a probelm handling another 120 HP over 500. So I think I could manage a ZR1 Vette. In all honesty though, I would be a little nervious to get behind the wheel of a car pushing 800 HP+ just because i've NEVER driven anything with that much power or even close.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Thanks `Michael 4 your post/thoughts
*U R up early on the West coast~> Work'in 4 a Liv'in : )

I think I would need pro training. When my g/father had his
400 HP Vette & I kicked it down I had my hands full : )
I only took it to about 140 MPH & then I got scared : )
& slowed down & thought "What would happen if I
had a blow out ? a deer/bear/animal jumped `out ?
Could I control his Vette @ that speed ?
I think I'm a good driver, but I admit I need more
experience or training to drive a SuperSuper H.P. Machine
4-Sure
ooooosph

Last edited by Space; 01-11-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I drove a friends Z06 Vette with 505 HP, and it was a hand full for sure. But I didnt go that fast in it, just because it wasn't my car, and I was already nervious just driving it...120 MPH was all I went to. But OMG, it has plenty left in it! And that thing got up to 120 sooooooooo fast it was not even funny. I can not even imagine what the ZR1 Vette's are like. Its weird to think that its got another 120 HP over a Z06 Vette, when there are cars that only make 120 HP. hahaha!

I would definitely need some training to go much past the ZR1 level. Hell, I may drive a ZR1 once, and decide I was not capable of driving it to its potential without some training. LOL.

And yes, i'm up early...gotta love the 5:30am shift for work. LOL.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly think I could handle a car with that power.

Once you know about cars and how they work, you should be able to handle them without training. Although those courses can teach some crazy things and it would be fun to take one anyway!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The fastest thing I ever drove was a 325 hp Cobra Crapstang with 4.30 rear end gears and a 5 speed.... I can handle that just fine.... as far as driving it on the street, I'd be fine. As far as hadnling it on a track and pushing it to its limits, I'd be a little scared

Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

i do know you get a training course when u buy a Venom 1000 Viper, & that is good b/c a 1200hp beast isnt for everyone, now the fastest ive driven a car is a lil over 180 in a LP640 that my friend owns, everything else has been Vipers & Vettes lol, fastest ive been in a car is a tick over 200 & that does freak you out lol but they need to offer driving courses for these high performance cars for sure

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanks Member's 4 your posts/thoughts/opinions

Last Year I was sent to Kuwait to work for my present
company, but had to return to the states when
my grandfather had his stroke : (

It was a wild/educational experience 4-Sure
Cuture `Shock
It was the first time I ever was outa the SunShine State.
I don't get away very much : )

The Rich Kids over in the Middle East are crazy
driver's with their highpriced Exotic rides.
It's like they attended the SpaceZchool of Driving
Check out the below link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqu3fPDcZD4

Once connection ? Check out the other vid's
It can be crazy out there 4-Sure
If you have vid's of kid's driving High Performance Cars,
please post/share, `Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFrYlmyPiek

Click & check out related vid's on right side

Last edited by Space; 01-11-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

I've had the chance to play around with a 2000 BMW z8 at work. Its only a 3600 pound car with almost 400 hp and 370 lb/ft of torque. I didn't have any problems handling it and it was very fun to drive. I don't think I'd have problems a 150-200 more HP on the street or a track but I'd be a little scared with 800+ on a track because I've never driven anything with that much power so I'd probably take a course.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM

i rode in a 800bwhp coronet race car that a friend had. The hardest part about controlling that much hp was keeping the back tires behind the car when he put the hammer down. but i agree with the insurance driving school i think its a really good idea and would benefit people that think the streets are a circle track.

Quick Reply: High Performance Cars: Can U handle one without Training/Experience ?