Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Signal Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Default Signal Flasher

I have a 2006 Monte. Went to install LED tail lights and found the flasher can blinks twice as fast. I need to change it because of the less voltage required to make them work. I'm having trouble finding it. I think it is behind the left door speaker grille. Seems like the speaker grill will not come off unless I really force it. Can someone put me in the right direction? Carl.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't force the speaker grill, it is part of the door panel itself, so if in fact it is behind the speaker grill, then you are going to need to remove the whole door panel.

Are you positive that BOTH the front and rear blinkers are working right now when you turn on the signal (in other words you have watched both the front and rear of the car while the blinker was on, and see it flashing, just flashing fast). If not, you should make sure they are both blinking to begin with, because what you are describing sounds they same as when you have a burnt blinker bulb, it generally starts flashing really fast because its sending all the "juice" to one bulb vs. the front and rear bulbs.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 AM

Wow. You are helping with all my questions. It's the led bulbs. I put back the stock bulbs and everthing is working alright. The reason I think the flasher is behind the door panel is because I hear it clicking at the speaker grille. Seems crazy because the older cars have it under the dash. Maybe someone will chime in on the location. Nice Monte you have there. I have the same grilles on my LTZ. Also made my own Billet Bowties for the grille and rear trunk. Could not find any after market. Only for Trucks.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Look at the bottom of this page, for: LED Bulb Signal Flasher. According to what I've seen for whatever reason the LEDs flash quicker. Not sur eif it waould work on the newer model but I'm sure you can e-mail him and ask.

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impala/store.htm#Cluster

Hope it helps.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Carl Hanson
Wow. You are helping with all my questions. It's the led bulbs. I put back the stock bulbs and everthing is working alright. The reason I think the flasher is behind the door panel is because I hear it clicking at the speaker grille. Seems crazy because the older cars have it under the dash. Maybe someone will chime in on the location. Nice Monte you have there. I have the same grilles on my LTZ. Also made my own Billet Bowties for the grille and rear trunk. Could not find any after market. Only for Trucks.
Thanks! Yea I like the grilles! I bet the billet bowties look awesome!

I don't know where the "flasher" thing is, but I honestly doubt its behind the door panel. I think it is somewhere in the dash.

P.S. post some pics of your LTZ when you get a chance, we all love pics

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need to put a resistor if you put the wrong LEDs into turn signals.

/thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Whats right and whats wrong? These have the same base as the stock bulb. They light up ok. The brake light is ok. It's only the signal. I need to find I think is the right flasher because the amp draw is so little. The other problem is the front signals are stock bulbs. I put all the stock bulbs back in and everthing is working fine. I was hoping someone might of already done this.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LEDs use MUCH less voltage to operate, the stock bulbs use the normal voltage (like 12v or something) LEDs will use like .5v, so when they are operating they are only drawing .5v and the car thinks that the bulb is blown out, so it blinks it really fast to let you know that there is a blown bulb.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM

so what do i need to do if i put in led turn signals to get them to blink the normal speed again still with the led's in there?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM

you have to get a different flasher relay with different resisters in them. i know they have them for the 6th gen monte's because ive seen them on some website.
chibiblacksheep definatly hit it square on though

Quick Reply: Signal Flasher