Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Do new (good) rear speakers fix volume/bass fade/distortion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
@Jester_20: Are you using something like the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty?

yea--that's exactly what i've got. 3sixty.2 to be exact

Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Milhouse
A capacitor is not the answer for you.....what size power wire are you running? What size ground wire and how long is it? Where is it grounded to? Have you done the Big 3? What condition is your battery in? Clipping is something a signal source does, like a head unit or amplifier, speakers don't clip. I'm thinking you meant distort a little bit.
i have a 2 gauge power wire and a 00 ground bolted to the body the ground is about 1foot long, when i first hooked everything up the front speakers where making a chirping noise but i had turned the gain all the way down and the bass boost all the way down im prolly jus guna turn the gain up little by little and drive it so that i can get the sound that i want with no distortion. jus takes a little time. but i figured the cap would help wit the headlights dimming whe it hits and soften the sudden drawls from the charging system.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevynick08
i have a 2 gauge power wire and a 00 ground bolted to the body the ground is about 1foot long, when i first hooked everything up the front speakers where making a chirping noise but i had turned the gain all the way down and the bass boost all the way down im prolly jus guna turn the gain up little by little and drive it so that i can get the sound that i want with no distortion. jus takes a little time. but i figured the cap would help wit the headlights dimming whe it hits and soften the sudden drawls from the charging system.
If anything a cap will just draw more useless power. your best bet is an upgraded alternator and battery.

do you have your rcas and power wires ran next to each other? that will lead to the noise you're explaining

Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by chevynick08
Wow....Power and ground should be the same size, but nothing wrong with having a larger ground, it's just overkill and won't provide any benefit at all. As for your ground you just want to make sure that it's grounded to a location that's free of paint/corrosion or any other contaminant that can increase resistance. I can ground to a seat bolt in some cars and it's fine, in others it's not, it all depends on the resistance at that particular spot. This is where a DMM would come in handy.

A cap is pretty worthless for what you want to use it for, it might work temporarily but from your description of your install there are quote a few other things that should be addressed before a cap is considered. Things like the Big 3, good ground spot, battery, properly set gain and properly tuned amp.