Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Rear speaker distortion, sounds AWEFUL!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Default Rear speaker distortion, sounds AWEFUL!

Any help would be GREATLY apreciated. I am hoping I can maybe fix the problem myself instead of having to take it in to an audio shop.

I noticed this morning that the speaker sound was ONLY coming from the front 2 door speakers. So I went into the settings and changed the fader to the middle settings and noticed terrible, distorted sound coming from the rears. So I moved the fader all the way to the rear and listened again the sound was almost unrecognizable. It sounds almost like the speaker is torn or blow out. I popped the trunk and looked under and saw that the rears are aftermarker ALPINE and appear to be wired corectly. Looks like they areT-Taped into the currect factor wiring.There seems to be no evidence of a torn or blow speaker either. And the wierd thing is that the distored sound seems to be coming from the right REAR and almost ZERO to VERY LITTLE sound from the LEFT. I noticed this by lightly feeling each speaker and the REAR sounds bad and scratchy and the left doesnt seem to vibrate at all.

Does anyone know what might be up? There also seems to be what looks like a silver AMP attached between each speaker on the inside of the trunk? I might be wrong about it being an amp, it just looks like it. If anyone can help me I would greatly aprecaite it! Otherwise I suppose I will have to take it in to Best Buy audio or something!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Default RE: Rear speaker distortion, sounds AWEFUL!

I would just assume they are blown. buy a couple cheap new ones and see how they sound. If they do not sound good either you will know there is a problem with the wiring or amp. I guess it could also be related to the radio it self, but it would be hard to tell without doing some testing first.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM

hmm b4 i would jsut think they are blown id try a few things. first of make sure those quick connects are actually doin there job...alot of times if wires arent stripped b4 the are attached people cant get them closed properly and the dont make a good connection. id suggest strippin the wires and sodering them together vs usin the quick connects

Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks guys. I will check out the connections first and then go from there.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM

theres a strong possibility its the factory amp. because in my car the same thing happened except all of the speakers on the left (left door and left side of rear deck) went out at the same time. i assumed they were blown but turns out the left channel or w/e u call t blew out on my amp.

so i just replaced all the speakers and bypassed the amp and powered em with my headunit : )

Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

check and make sure nothing is in the way of the speaker and loose stuff. make sure the rear deck is not coming in contact with the speaker back when i had my alpine type s I had the same problem or a similar problem cause it was with an aftermarket alpine amp and it was just that the rear deck was not centered properly when i put it back together, so little you could not notice it unless you looked at the speaker cause the wholes were about a .5" off. fixed that and it worked great. when i put in my JL Audio TR speakers i remebered that and had no problems. but make sure there is not like a screw bouncein in the speaker or anything