Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Do new (good) rear speakers fix volume/bass fade/distortion?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Default Do new (good) rear speakers fix volume/bass fade/distortion?

I have the factory amp and my system is completely stock. I'm not dumb enough to wonder if replacing the rear speakers would come anywhere near close to an amp/sub set up, but my question is this. On a stock system the amp seemingly cuts back the power of the low frequencies at mid to upper volume. I am wondering if that is the speaker itself distorting or some sort of protection from the amp to avoid blowing a speaker?

AND most importantly, if I am seeking just a touch more bass and better clarity, for example by replacing the rear speakers, would they cut out or act less responsive at higher volumes (bass specifically) just like stock speakers? If not I would most likely be buying higher quality 6X9s to replace them, but I don't want to be completely disappointed if I do it because they behave the same as the stock set-up after half volume from the measly factory amp...

Any insight is appreciated.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Aftermarket speakers on the stock amp and radio will produce an even worse sound, and they will be quieter.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM

Yeaaaa actually starting to see that as I research more lol... piece of junk amp. Guess its not worth the trouble or money to do everything right given it sounds "decent" stock.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 PM

@DenaliZ06: Where in Upstate are ya?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

what you'll tun into alot of the time, is that stock receivers are eq'd to make crappy speakers sound good in the specific car's environment. (meaning if you take the same speaker and same sound and listen to it in a monte and then a mustang, the two will sound different due to the acoustics of the car) Therefore with a little "economic" tweaking, you can get good sound from crap speakers.

What i did, was take all the audio from my receiver and ran it to a processor that flat line's all the sound and gives you a straight line to EQ. This way i can set the EQ, crossovers, and all that good stuff before it even hits my amps, and i getta keep all my goodies like steering wheel controls, xm, onstar and so on.....

Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM

@Jester_20: Are you using something like the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DenaliZO6 View Post
I have the factory amp and my system is completely stock. I'm not dumb enough to wonder if replacing the rear speakers would come anywhere near close to an amp/sub set up, but my question is this. On a stock system the amp seemingly cuts back the power of the low frequencies at mid to upper volume. I am wondering if that is the speaker itself distorting or some sort of protection from the amp to avoid blowing a speaker?

AND most importantly, if I am seeking just a touch more bass and better clarity, for example by replacing the rear speakers, would they cut out or act less responsive at higher volumes (bass specifically) just like stock speakers? If not I would most likely be buying higher quality 6X9s to replace them, but I don't want to be completely disappointed if I do it because they behave the same as the stock set-up after half volume from the measly factory amp...

Any insight is appreciated.
That is a function of the stock radio/amp, I forget which one. So simply replacing speakers won't get you the expected result.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM

i actuall just installed a set of 1200 watt xplodes wit a 1200w amp ran it all into the high inputs on the amp, taped into the the audio outs right off the factory amp but it sounds good i do need to play wit the settings a little bit to get the sound i desire and definately need a capacitor when the xplode amp is turned up it takes enough juice from the car it actually made the factory speakers clip a little bit

Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevynick08 View Post
i actuall just installed a set of 1200 watt xplodes wit a 1200w amp ran it all into the high inputs on the amp, taped into the the audio outs right off the factory amp but it sounds good i do need to play wit the settings a little bit to get the sound i desire and definately need a capacitor when the xplode amp is turned up it takes enough juice from the car it actually made the factory speakers clip a little bit
A capacitor won't do much for you.

I don't know why the Xplods would take that much power, because they are 1200 watt max at like 250 rms or something like that, i would turn your gain down some because they will probably blow sooner than later with a gain set high.

just something to be careful of

Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by chevynick08 View Post
A capacitor is not the answer for you.....what size power wire are you running? What size ground wire and how long is it? Where is it grounded to? Have you done the Big 3? What condition is your battery in? Clipping is something a signal source does, like a head unit or amplifier, speakers don't clip. I'm thinking you meant distort a little bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do new (good) rear speakers fix volume/bass fade/distortion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.