General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

anbody install electric cutouts on 7th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Whatever honey.... - YouTube

^^^There is my cut-out in action to give you an idea of the sound.
ok i need this ..... lol

Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cully77
there goes another unnecessary $700 ....

can you guys tell me the right one to get ?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nightrider
i had my exhaust done and love it but me being me i always want more obnixious --- i'm really not familiar with cutouts , would i be able to have them installed infront of the straight pipe where the resonator is deleted , so with a switch i could (when i want) be running damn near open heads lol ????

I'm an 07 ss here is my exhaust setup with the 40's and straight piped resonator. If i could do the cutout i think that would be great ; i was thinking of replacing the flowmasters with the slp straight pipes but am now really interested in the cutouts

2007mc - youtube
sounds damn good!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

here is a link to my cutout. its open through whole video. i dont have a closed to open video but i shall make one soon lol

i suggest getting a race ready over any of them. qtp isnt to bad either for a second choice and i would never get a dmh as there customer service sucks and good luck using there "warranty" they fall apart as well.

you will have to get the "y" pipe to weld intot he exhaust so the cutout can be bolted to it. the size pipe depends on the size of your exhaust (2.5" exhaust get a 2.5" y pipe adapter and 2.5" cutout etc)

Last edited by turbo monte; 04-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM

I will be adding an exhaust cutout pretty soon, but I don't really want to remove the resonator to put it in. The wife is not a big fan of the car being any louder than stock while she is riding with me. But while I'm by myself I'd like to hear it opened up. Is there enough room between the cat/O2 sensor and the flange? Or behind the flange but in front of the resonator? If I have to, I guess I could just place the cutout in place of the flange and not have the ability to take it apart once it's welded in.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Default lol!!! thats my car!!

Originally Posted by iMuf
I have never heard cut outs on a monte before. I will say on my Monte I had Spintech Pro street 6000 mufflers and they had a great sound to them. They were really bassy and were significantly louder than stock however they weren't obnoxious. But if I did back up in my driveway the rear of my car was facing the house and I started it while it was cold, my house would literally shake just with how deep and bassy they were. You may just see if you can find a muffler that has a sound that you like and that is loud enough for you.

Here is my exhaust when I had my Monte.

2006 Monte Carlo SSLS4 with Spintech mufflers - YouTube

May not be as loud as cut outs but it was still pretty darn loud. The only downside is when DOD kicked in it sounded kind of like a helicopter. Some people say it's not really that bad. But at least on that muffler it was really that bad. When I sold the car the dealership actually had a concern about it and thought that something was wrong with the car. So be careful, because the louder you go the more you may hear the "helicopter" noise. And it get's old after a while. I would suggest tuning out DOD if you want to go with something significantly louder then stock.
Hey man where you find this video of my car at?!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
Old 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM

I've got a DMH on my LS4 GP, and it is definitely a big sound difference. I removed the resonator and put the Y pipe for the cutout in place of it.

Worst thing about it is the sound when DOD kicks in- it sounds like a helicopter as previously stated. The other thing is it makes it a lot louder in the cabin, especially with the sound bouncing between the road and underbody.

I leave it open probably 75% of the time I drive the car. The only time I ever got frustrated with it was driving it across country when I moved. After the first couple hours of highway drone, I had to close it. Nice to have the option to do that though.

Power improvement was virtually nothing though- I've tried it open/closed at the track on back to back 1/4 mi runs. ET was traction limited anyways being on stock tires, but mph only picked up only very slightly with it open (1/2 mph or less). The big power gains are mostly on turbo cars, or cars where the stock catback is restrictive. Being the LS4 is really neither of those, it's more for sound than anything.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-11-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

I gained a whole 3whp with mine open verses closed haha