Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Foglight install for 7th gen, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Default Foglight install for 7th gen, please help!

So i believe ive found all the parts required to install the factory foglights on a 7th gen lt.

If anyone who has the stock foglights already can please help this thread with a description or a photo of the wiring for the factory fogs that would answer the question of wether these things are wired to the headlamp harness or if they have their own separate harness.

Please help and i will post all parts and steps required to complete this commonly questioned install!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM

anybody? pictures please?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06-montelt2
anybody? pictures please?
go to your local auto parts and get yourself a Haynes manual! I have one, but it's in the car right now and I'm kinda busy.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i looked today. All i could tell is the fog light plug comes from the same wire loom as the headlights. thats all i could see. dont know if that answers any questions.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
i looked today. All i could tell is the fog light plug comes from the same wire loom as the headlights. thats all i could see. dont know if that answers any questions.
Had my headlights out the other day and noticed the same thing. Because they are in the same loom and the button is part of the normal headlight control I would assume that they are the same harness, but I could be completely wrong.

I know the fog light button is the circle inside the headlight control ****, kinda like the a/c button. I'm curious as to how that's handled in cars without the fog lights, is there still a button there? If not, may I ask how you plan on wiring a switch for the lights?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by God_Bot
Had my headlights out the other day and noticed the same thing. Because they are in the same loom and the button is part of the normal headlight control I would assume that they are the same harness, but I could be completely wrong.

I know the fog light button is the circle inside the headlight control ****, kinda like the a/c button. I'm curious as to how that's handled in cars without the fog lights, is there still a button there? If not, may I ask how you plan on wiring a switch for the lights?
Thank you guys! thats the answer ive been looking for, so now i know the cabling for the foglights is hooked up to the headlight harness somewhere. I do not believe that GM decided to leave us withought the fogs an easy installation for the stock foglights because i did not notice any empty plugs dangling around anywhere.

Ive removed both headlights and checked all around my harness, even in the gap between the grille and radiator. nothing. Ive also checked under the dash near the firewall hole.

As for the foglight button, it does not exist on my non foglight monte. The button you would press looks like it should be a button but it does not recess! All my buddies say "Hey what does this button do" they press it and nothing happens lol.

I purchased and installed the correct factory foglight button (the entire headlight switch) and tested it lastnight. I also purchased the foglight assemblies and some sort of relay and cable for the foglights. The cable based on the diagram looks like what would plug into the foglights however i need to find out now how i would go about wiring them into the proper cable!

I do have a few simpler options here but i do hate waiting for new parts to be shipped. I can try to find a stock front end harness for our montes or impalas with the foglight connections, the easiest to but but teadious to install.... My last option is using the cable i purchased and is on its way to wire it directly up to the stock harness assuming the stock harness will have the proper cables built in.

So with that being said would anybody be so kind as to telling me what color wires the foglight wires are hooked up to? From the immages of the connection i bought it looks like both wires are grey. All i need to know is what color wires the grey wires are hooked up to?

I really apreciate everybodies help in making this set up work! Im hoping this thread can be used to help those who plan on doing the same thing and i will post my installation pictures once complete. I have noticed many people look into doing this but at some point they give up! Probably because theres not that much info available for this process.

EDIT: Also i have major concerns if i where to replace the entire front end harness. To me it looked as though not only did it support foglights and healights, but it also supported the horn, washerfluid sensors, outside temp sensors, some kind of sensors on the fans and also my biggest fear to unplug looked like airbag sensors. My obvious concern with unplugging the sensors from driver and passanger side airbags would be for them to deploy once i unplugged them. If i do take the route of replacing the entire harness does anybody know of a way i can safely unplug the airbag sensors in the front bumper? Maybe disconnecting the battery entirely?

Last edited by 06-montelt2; 09-13-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Purple and black in my car.

Here's a couple quick shots before I run back to school. One is the back of the foglight, one is where the looms combine and one is the overall loom setup. This was for the driver side foglight.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by God_Bot
Purple and black in my car.

Here's a couple quick shots before I run back to school. One is the back of the foglight, one is where the looms combine and one is the overall loom setup. This was for the driver side foglight.

Thanks man! I havnt checked yet to see if i have those purple and black cables runing down my harness but i will check today.

I am a bit dissapointed, after i installed the new headlight switch with the foglight button i took a look at the number of pins on my stock switch and on the new one. They both have the same number of switches, however the connector cable does have some blank leads . Basically the wiring behind the dash might not be supportive of the new foglight button.

Though some elements are throwing me off here. Like how everything on the foglight button works and lights up even the button its self lights up, so it may be getting power somehow. But like everything else when you turn the headlight **** the DIC sends a message informing you the automatic headlights have been turned off or whatever.. Anyway, does a message appear when the foglights are turned on?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM

If your car is wired for the fog button, when you press the button, the fog light indicator will light up green on the cluster

Just an FYI, even if the wiring is in the headlight harness, if your BCM doesn't have the foglight option programmed into it, the fogs won't work without replacing the BCM and having it programmed correctly

I did a factory style integration diagram using a DEI module (instead of replacing the BCM).. You can find details over on NAIOA here: http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=43478

Here is the diagram though:

BBEngineer

Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM

[quote=bbengineer;363281]If your car is wired for the fog button, when you press the button, the fog light indicator will light up green on the cluster

Just an FYI, even if the wiring is in the headlight harness, if your BCM doesn't have the foglight option programmed into it, the fogs won't work without replacing the BCM and having it programmed correctly

I did a factory style integration diagram using a DEI module (instead of replacing the BCM).. You can find details over on NAIOA here: http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=43478

Here is the diagram though:

Oh wow... i didnt even consider the BCM. Well i suppose i can try the set up like this, but with the HID's. Or i can just wire them into the headlights somehow.

Thanks man! Great info BTW.

Quick Reply: Foglight install for 7th gen, please help!