Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

motor mount...im lost

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: motor mount...im lost

lol... this is killer!.. there's nothing different bout this mod than how it used to be for the older generation montes. Back in the days of the rear wheel drive V8's or hopped up hp/tq small blocks.. a solid mount was used to keep the motor frommoving(twisting) so much under extreme torque load. Well that and the stock clam shellscould onlytake so much. It added to performance but made for a crappy ride due to engine vibration that was transferred from the solid mount. Expect nothing less guys!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Ok, I might have to get those next paycheck. I didn't notice all your posts until just today... and I just dropped a bundle on a set of wrenches and a set of two jack stands, a floor jack, and some wheel chocks. Also happened to just get my billet Carriage works grille.Well, at least this time I'll have all the proper tools to do it myself instead of relying on the 9/16" I had to use when I originally flipped the motor mount... lol.

Look nice, and yes my car is FWD... Flipping the mounts helped immensely, but I notice weird movements on the highway while cruising.

Oh, and I don't have to worry about vibration at idle. the 60 degree V6 (like the 3.5 and 3.9's) are naturally balanced (no balance shafts, etc) so the engine shakes VERY little. The only time it shakes is if rolling slowly in idle, and that's due to fluidic resistance spikes in the torque converter. (that's what gm told me, lmao)

I'm kind of excited to get the poly's now.... two weeks is not going to be a fun wait..., here paycheck paycheck paycheck.... heeeeEEEEeeere paycheck paycheck paycheck.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 PM

Ok, lmao, I'm being stupid.... those big chunks of poly.... is it just me... or shouldn't they be one great big bouncy uhh square?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM

Haha.. I am with you on that one.. I spend my paycheck before I even get it... hopefully soon our compulsive spending habits will be reduced! Let us know how the mounts do... I didn't realize that your monte's engine was balanced like that..

Ours (00-05) move like CRAZY. I didn't realize it until I saw a dyno video of a stock monte...it MUST move at least 3/4 inch.. which may not seem like alot.. but wow.

Keep us updated!!

-Keegan

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Oh I'll definitely let you guys know... I mean maybe it's just me, but this should be up on the DIY section.... Just flipping the mounts is free, and it's seriously too easy.... I've done that, and had fairly good results. My only problem is that it does feel weird on the highway... I'm thinking because moving at that speed, perhaps the engine mounts have more to do with handling-as far as vertical strength than it seems they should. Because the car just feels different. Not bad... and in fact I can hardly tell really, kind of gotten used to it. Just different. I'm thinking because I move the strong parts to the forward/rear section.... and the weak parts to up and down... maybe that's having an effect. That's why I want to get the poly's, strong all around.

Any other mods you guys have done I should know about? lol...