Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3400 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3400 power

Hey guys... heres my mods:

Jetchip Programmer
K&N CAI
dual flowmasters with resinator and Ubend delete

heres the question... it put in the CAI and honestly seemed like I wasnt getting any gains from it. I mean, litterally, nothing. maybe Ive been smoking too much styrofoam or something, but could I be maxing out a part, (mass air flow sensor?) or should I be investing into a tuner?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 3400 power

that goes along a bit more with what i would htink. i was just about to get ready to shell out the money for a K&N FIPK. it don't seem like it would help, but several people claim better mileage from them, and i figured it wuld look better than the stock system. i jsut don't see how you suck more air thru a cone filter than you do a square one. alot of people claim they sound better, but i really just don't know. seems like a K&N drop in filter would do the same thing

Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 AM

How many miles are on the car?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 AM

just crossed 70,000

Old 09-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Vita,

For a supercharged application, they DO make a world of difference, but on a naturally aspirated vehicle, I really don't think they do a WHOLE lot anyways for mileage, maybe 1-2 mpg extra...

Do you do alot of city driving, or highway? If you do alot of city driving, you will not really notice much, but if you do alot of highway driving, you'll see what I'm talking about... instead of 25 mpg, you ought to get 27 or so... and so on...

Have you "tuned" up your car lately? As in, cleaning your fuel injectors, changing spark plugs, etc?

I know that Haynes has a manual out for our cars, and they have alot of great "Tune up" information. It is aimed at getting the most out of your car, and taking care of it so that it will take care of you...

Another mod that you may consider, might be rockers... Some may disagree with me, but a little bit higher ratio rocker would help improve mileage a bit, and give you a little bit more power... and it is a fairly easy mod

And I personally have never heard of "Jetchip"? If you want a GOOD tune, you will need software that can interface with your PCM, which controls all of your peripherals, shift points, WOT lag remover, rev limiter increase, shift point change, air/fuel ratios...

THAT is where you will really feel more improvements...

Yah, a typical programmer will run you a little bit of money, but in the long run, will it make you happier with your vehicle? probably.

Hope that helps...

-Keegan

Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

Vita,

And I personally have never heard of "Jetchip"? If you want a GOOD tune, you will need software that can interface with your PCM, which controls all of your peripherals, shift points, WOT lag remover, rev limiter increase, shift point change, air/fuel ratios...

-Keegan
thats exactly what I was thinking... I mean, The Jetchip I have controlls the air/fuel ratio right now. believe me, it does it A LOT, but it doesnt do anything BUT that. Im not too concerend about getting amazing gas milage. to me, cost and horsepower comes priorities... (then college).

is there any brands that you would recommend for tuners? I glanced at some other threads, but everyone kinda has there own opinion. is there anyplace that really "Breaks them each down"?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Well, to put it short... HP Tuners is the way of the future. If you look at 3800Performance.com, wbodystore, and alot of the other companies out there, they are throwing DHP out the door, and heading toward HP Tuners VCM Suite.

But why? Because they have great customer support according to alot of people, and they have graphical interfaces, which is awesome..

Remember in Fast and the Furious, the original movie, the main character with his car and his two bottles of nitrous boots up his laptop, and you see a three-d graph of all of his stats? Thats exactly what this company's software does.

Now, HP Tuners VCM runs 499.99 brand new, and has the ability to do up to 4 individual GM cars on the 8 credits that come WITH the program.... So if you use two credits on yours, and decide to buy a GM car down the line, it will be supported. Thus, VCM.

VCM is the way of the future. See, GM has started doing away with PCM's like our cars have, and going toward VCM. But that doesn't mean that our vehicles wont be supported.

Dan (04Intimidator) has recently purchased a used copy of the VCM suite, and is upgrading, for 150 bucks, to professional edition. If I were you, I might wait a few weeks, and see what he has to say... I am sure he will post how much it has helped (or hurt) his vehicle once he gets it back from the company and plugs it in.

Hope that kinda helps...

-Keegan

Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Once I get the upgraded sucker in the mail I will definately be venting any fustrations and any awesome bonues. The software looks very easy to use actually but it's just figuring out where to start. It just getting all the power to do what you want but not knowing what to do first.

I so cannot wait.... About 5 days to go.