Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Dying Trans

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dying Trans

I think my transmission is on it's way out. I am terrified that is the case. It shifts normally, but at cruising speeds when it changes down into 4th (OD), it begins surging. Not violently, but more like if you were to lightly pump the gas pedal over and over while cruising. Could I prolong the life of the tranny by not using 4th gear at all and just being restricted to 3? I know it will hurt my gas mileage, but I don't have the money to shell out nearly 2k for a tranny because I am paying nearly $4k out of pocket now for the fall semester of college, as well as saving for my wedding next year. I checked ZZP, and as usual, they are WAY overpriced. Also, I checked Triple Edge Performance, but they aren't much better. I figure that if I am going to replace the tranny, I want to upgrade to the HD with the 3.29:1 ratio. However, if it completely dies on me before winter, I will have no choice in the matter but to get a rebuilt or reman. one since the Monte is my daily driver that I cannot do without. I'm praying that maybe this is just some other easily fixable issue....please help.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 AM

My GTP does that when it is getting about 20% throttle in 4th, if I speed up or slow down it stops. I took it to a tranny shop and they told me to unplug the battery for a hour so the PCM resets. I did that and the problem went away for about a month. I did it again and got about another month. I believe this can be tuned out, but seeing you have a ZZP PCM it may not be the case for you because I believe they fix this issue.

If it is computer related you can try that, if its mechanical then your going to have to get it looked at. I was told it was the torque converter locking and unlocking and not sure if it should stay locked.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 AM

I'm running into the same problem with my 06' Monte. I'm going to try unplugging the battery and see if that helps. Hopefully this is just a PCM issue. I really don't want to have to replace my torque converter if I don't need to haha

Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could also be time for a fluid filter change?
Take and have it tested at a local trans shop!
These transmissions start to show signs of wear around 80,000 miles and up!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Also, do you know if the engine or trans are throwing any codes??? That can help a lot to figure out what's going on....

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

dont drive it in third all the time, the trans will get hot and cook itself. it sounds like it could be a converter or a solenoid.... i wouldnt buy a zzp trans if you are getting a built trans there is no other way to go but triple edge unless you build it yourself

Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here is an article on a car surging while driving. Seems like there are many potential problems. Might not be your tranny after all. And here is an excerpt from another article:

An engine surge is usually caused by a fuel system management or drivetrain operation failure. The fuel management system utilizes sensors that monitor emission output and engine performance and are communicating with the main PCM (powertrain control module) controlling fuel mixture, timing and emission management systems. While the engine is surging the PCM is "hunting" by adjusting the fuel mixture and timing. These adjustments are made by the PCM in an isolating manner as the PCM tries to satisfy its parameters. These parameters are not being satisfied due to a system malfunction, we have listed some of the most common problems and repairs below: LINK TO COMPLETE ARTICLE ABOVE:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-surges

LINK TO ANOTHER ARTICLE BELOW:
Troubleshooting car problems: Engine surges while driving - by Thom W. Conroy - Helium

ALSO If my 02 tranny will fit yours you could have it for $200 plus shipping. It has about 65,000 miles on it. Never ever a problem with it. Been sitting covered on a pallet in may garage for about 5 years.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-30-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I have not had it checked for codes at all yet, but I will take it to my mechanic tomorrow to check for codes to see if it is anything other than the trans. I just had the fluid and filter changed a few months ago, and the shop that did it showed me that there was a lot of brass in the pan which meant the bushings were going bad. I had lucas oil tranny treatment added at that time. Zippy, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the offer! If it is the trans for sure, I will definitely take yours. I don't think there were any fitment changes between 02 and 03 as long as the trans was originally mated to a 3.8.