Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Is She Dying?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Is She Dying?

Sorry I havent been on like I use to guys ;(. I let a family member use my monte since I got my truck and I think the car is at its wits end. Looks like the LIM is leaking again, valve covers leaking and my biggest problem is the jerking in all gears. Mostly it jerks the worst in reverse and drive. Im hearing a "different" type of sound from one of the bigger pulleys or around it. I did get a cel on for a random cylinder misfire but the plugs look all new and I exchanged the wires with a known good set. I did unplug one sensor on the throttle body while the car was in drive and everytime I do it the car stalls. Also the engine overheated this morning due to coolant leak, not sure how hot it got because I wasnt driving it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3kbPwe2-Y&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Right after I stopped recording it stalled while in drive also

Last edited by DRuben; 10-07-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DRuben
Sorry I havent been on like I use to guys ;(. I let a family member use my monte since I got my truck and I think the car is at its wits end. Looks like the LIM is leaking again, valve covers leaking and my biggest problem is the jerking in all gears. Mostly it jerks the worst in reverse and drive. Im hearing a "different" type of sound from one of the bigger pulleys or around it. I did get a cel on for a random cylinder misfire but the plugs look all new and I exchanged the wires with a known good set. I did unplug one sensor on the throttle body while the car was in drive and everytime I do it the car stalls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3kbPwe2-Y&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Right after I stopped recording it stalled while in drive also
Well you got me stumped....
Theres obviously a computer issue going on....It shouldnt have stahled out I dont believe when you un plg the MAF sensor...But it did!
The motor sounds like it has either a rod knock and or bad bearing in the lower end...Check the oil...see if its "milky" since you said the intake was leaking.... quite possibly...with enough water in the system...you may just have wiped out several bearing! that accounts for the knocking as well as the shakeing! also pull the plugs to see which ones are misfireing....I think you have major damage there rubin...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Well you got me stumped....
Theres obviously a computer issue going on....It shouldnt have stahled out I dont believe when you un plg the MAF sensor...But it did!
The motor sounds like it has either a rod knock and or bad bearing in the lower end...Check the oil...see if its "milky" since you said the intake was leaking.... quite possibly...with enough water in the system...you may just have wiped out several bearing! that accounts for the knocking as well as the shakeing! also pull the plugs to see which ones are misfireing....I think you have major damage there rubin...
The oil cap is indeed milky like it was before I changed the LIM gasket the first time... I pulled the plugs and ALL of them look good, no soot or anything on them. My cousin said that he filled the car with coolant last weekend and today it literally had none it it, bone dry. Also I saw that when it was running hot it had a lot of smoke coming from "I think" under the front manifolds.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member

Ok I got another video uploaded. I also would like to add when its about to stall the rpms surge to over 1k rpm and there is a squeak along with it. Is that another sign?

Second Vid - YouTube

Edit: So I just checked the oil cap and it is WAY MORE milky then it was this morning before I put the water in the radiator AND I could see a little water inside of the oil cap. So im guessing the water/coolant is mixing with the oil.

Last edited by DRuben; 10-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I hope you are not driving the car anywhere in it's condition. Too much coolant in the oil, getting to the lower bearings will destroy it. I'm not sure, are you running a 3400 or 3800? Either way, the information is about the same.

Step #1 - Go get the radiator pressure tester from the loan a tool program. Strap that to the car, bump the pressure to about 13lbs. Inspect for leaks. If it's a LIM leak on a 3800, it will probably bubble between the LIM and the vavle cover, a LIM on the 3400, look where the LIM and the head meet.
Even with a LIM leak and the coolant in the oil, plugs may look fine.
Odds are, it's a BAD LIM leak and once confirmed, prepare to service it. With as bad as the car is sounding, I would get it to where you are going to wrench on it, DRAIN the oil pan ASAP! If it has a LOT coolant, get it off those bearings!

Change the LIM, I would opt if those plugs have over 50K miles, change them (if they are BOSCH plugs, get rid of them regardless of mileage). Stay with NGK or AC Delco plugs.

As for the shifting issues, one thing is, check the trans fluid. Is it low? Also, you may want to drop the trans pan to see if it has large metal shavings or chunks. If no issues, change fluid and filter.

Once the car is back together, clear the codes and see what else is going on. But you can only diagnose so much of this at a time before you have to correct things to move forward.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I hope you are not driving the car anywhere in it's condition. Too much coolant in the oil, getting to the lower bearings will destroy it. I'm not sure, are you running a 3400 or 3800? Either way, the information is about the same.

Step #1 - Go get the radiator pressure tester from the loan a tool program. Strap that to the car, bump the pressure to about 13lbs. Inspect for leaks. If it's a LIM leak on a 3800, it will probably bubble between the LIM and the vavle cover, a LIM on the 3400, look where the LIM and the head meet.
Even with a LIM leak and the coolant in the oil, plugs may look fine.
Odds are, it's a BAD LIM leak and once confirmed, prepare to service it. With as bad as the car is sounding, I would get it to where you are going to wrench on it, DRAIN the oil pan ASAP! If it has a LOT coolant, get it off those bearings!

Change the LIM, I would opt if those plugs have over 50K miles, change them (if they are BOSCH plugs, get rid of them regardless of mileage). Stay with NGK or AC Delco plugs.

As for the shifting issues, one thing is, check the trans fluid. Is it low? Also, you may want to drop the trans pan to see if it has large metal shavings or chunks. If no issues, change fluid and filter.

Once the car is back together, clear the codes and see what else is going on. But you can only diagnose so much of this at a time before you have to correct things to move forward.
Its the n/a 3800 and Im just gonna get another motor. Come to find out, its been running rough now for weeks and I just dont want to use the current motor. Im gonna do a fresh rebuild that will take a little time but the monte is not my dd. I had/have ac delco plugs and wires and both are fine. The car has a hard time idling now and barely cranks so Im prepared for a new motor.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks David & Jason again for posting/helping..

* Good Luck DeRon on getting your Monte back on the road again..."If it's not one thing, it's another" ~> It's life 4-Sure...
I hope the family member's that were driving your Monte ~> Assist you in the cost of the repairs...How's your Silverado running ? Are you happy with it ?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think I would replace the motor too. If someone else was driving it and not taking care of it you dont know how much damage was caused. With a coolant leak I'm sure it was overheated at least once. Now you can do an L67 swap since you pulling the motor anyway.

Last edited by lougreen03; 10-08-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Thanks David & Jason again for posting/helping..

* Good Luck DeRon on getting your Monte back on the road again..."If it's not one thing, it's another" ~> It's life 4-Sure...
I hope the family member's that were driving your Monte ~> Assist you in the cost of the repairs...How's your Silverado running ? Are you happy with it ?
Nah I honestly needed a reason to pull a motor and now I have one lol. My Silverado is running great and im extremely happy with it. Havent did anything big except exhaust. So far I have a Flowmaster 40 dumped towards the ground and I gutted the 3rd cat.

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I think I would replace the motor too. If someone else was driving it and not taking care of it you dont know how much damage was caused. With a coolant leak I'm sure it was overheated at least once. Now you can do an L67 swap since you pulling the motor anyway.
So right, no telling how many times it ran hot and just was filled up and leaked again. The plates were turned in today so I wont have to pay the insurance and I will start taking things apart Friday afternoon. A L67 swap is the route I will be taking but first I need to get my tranny taken care of lol. I only got 33k miles out of the car.