Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2006 Monte Carlo LT keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo LT keeps dying

About 2 months ago my car died for the first time while I was at college. The Uni Police weren't able to jump start it with the external battery they had so my Dad had to come a jump it for me. A few weeks later my car died while I was at McDonalds. Today, it died again.

My tire was a little flat so I had to drive over to the gas station to give it some air. The car turned on completely fine and I got there and back. Once I parked though, my keys wouldn't come out of the ignition (this is another problem that arose at some point.) After about 20 seconds of trying to shift back into park, I tried to turn my car on and it was completely dead.

After the first time my car died I had my battery looked at by someone at an auto part store and their tests claimed my battery was completely fine and had no problems. By this point I don't really know what to think. I'm sure I can jump my car again, but I'm tired of this problem.

I'm most likely going to get my car looked at by professionals but I just needed to know if anyone has had this problem before. My car only has about 63k miles.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would also test the altenator, take it to pep boys and get a 15 chargin system test. it will check the altenator, battery, and starter. also could be a maf or failing cat converter...but id go with checking the whole chargin system first

Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I assume when you said it was dead, the dash did not light up or interior lights dim, starter did not make sounds of cranking, radio didn't work???

That being assumed, battery, alt, bad/dirty connection somewhere are your most likely culprits. The fact you are getting jumped each time and it works is ruling out things like theft lock or ignition switch.

I agree with Owen, get a battery alt test done. Just to pre-warn you, I had a problem with my Monte draining the battery after a couple of days of non-use. Turned out to be the alt and the battery. And the alt tests were passing it (I finally replaced it after it began making a funny smell).