Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Default Steering

Hi I am new to this site as of today so I hope I am posting in the correct place.I have a 1998 Z34 3.8 liter and have a problem I just can not figure out. A few days ago it started pulling to the left when giving it gas and then to the right when I let off this is at even slow speeds under 30mph it also does this as it shifts gears and is starting to get scary in traffic it has new tie rods new wheel hubs new brakes it seems it might of started after a tire rotation but not sure and tire pressure is good and tires only have 10,000 miles on them and was alligned last year any help would be greatly helpfull

Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome! And this seems like a good section for this question.

You mentioned this feels like it happened around the time you got the tires rotated?? Check if they are directional and if they are, make sure they are all facing the correct direction. Usually the directional info is molded into the sidewall of the tire (and arrow typically accompanied by verbage or a word "directional").

If they are not directional, check out your suspension. Sky can be the limited here. But here's some things I'd look at (in order):
- Front sway bar (sometimes they rot/crack at one end or both).
- Front sway bar end links (bushings and connecting rods that connect the sway to the lower control arm).
- All hardware (bolts and axle nut) for the front hubs are tight.

Does it feel like it's pulling from the back or the front? If it's from the back, you will want to check out the rear lateral arms, see if someone bent them (some shops place a jack or jack stands under them and with the weight of the car resting on them, they bend).

Hopefully it's something obvious. There's more stuff that can be checked, but those are the items I'd start with.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Have you checked the balljoints?
Originally Posted by shagwag1983
Hi I am new to this site as of today so I hope I am posting in the correct place.I have a 1998 Z34 3.8 liter and have a problem I just can not figure out. A few days ago it started pulling to the left when giving it gas and then to the right when I let off this is at even slow speeds under 30mph it also does this as it shifts gears and is starting to get scary in traffic it has new tie rods new wheel hubs new brakes it seems it might of started after a tire rotation but not sure and tire pressure is good and tires only have 10,000 miles on them and was alligned last year any help would be greatly helpfull

Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 AM

I forgot it got new balljoints with the tires last year and i though it felt like the back wasnt tracking right so i checked the rear links im not sure the name of them but there both good and the lateral bars are not bent or broken i know tonight i let off the gas right before it shifted going about 20mph and i can feel it jerk to left than the right than back to normal this happen in just a few seconds and if im going around 30mph and hit gas like half way it pulls to the left hard enough to change lanes if i dont stop. i will check the other stuff this weekend since we just got more snow here and its negative 2 it makes everything worse to work on

Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by shagwag1983
Hmm, I would think a broken mount, strut bearing, Rack+pinion bushings or tire issue. Try and rotate tires back to there original location first to rule out tires and them check the strut bearings, might be seized/hangin up. Listen for a pop when turning the wheel lock to lock with wheels off the ground.

Last edited by KillerB; 01-05-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As mentioned before...you said it started when you had the tires rotated...
Has the car recently been siting for any length of time? Were the tires brand new purchased from a tire store?.... If you did buy them at the tire store ... Then I would venture a guess they should be still under warranty.

Heres my guess.

It could very well be that the belts have slipped in the tires them selves...
I recently experienced a very similar experience.... I have had my tires on my Monte since 2007, there 60,000 mile tires with 50,000 + miles on them and they still look like brand new... However, I do rotate mine every 3000 miles.. I recently had them rotated only to have it pull in 1 direction because 1 of the tires the belts have slipped inside of it.(The tire).. Its quite possible you maybe experiencing the same thing with both tires.

I would have them rotated back to see if it goes away...Then that just proves the tires are out of whack.. (slipped belts) Sometimes what happens..after traveling some distances to get the tires warm... and then you park it for 4 or 5 hrs... the belts will have tendancy to slip belts from being heat cycled. Its rare... But it does happen.

If you bought those tires used....
Then your just going to have to replace them all together.... With out all the details of where you got the tires... Its hard to say....

If you bought them new...
I would go back to the tire store and complain since you only have 10,000 miles on them..

Lets just hope it isn't something more serious like a failing rack and pinion... or tierod ends could also be a broken half shaft on either side..
Thus causeing the pulling 1 way under under acceleration and then pulling the other way under deceleration. I'm leaning towards abroken axle (half shaft) Just because of the way its reacting under power and off.

Maybe to..when they did the ball joints..something in the front end wasn't seated correctly.. and was actually in a bind...and then it worked its way free... and now one tire is pulling while the other one is in free wheel.

That's my best guess/solution...

Pls be sure to let us know what it was once you get it straightened out!

Thanks for joining the Mcf!
Pls feel free to also post some pick and join in on the conversation in the daily blog.