General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Damn Steering shaft...................................Damn Steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Default Damn Steering shaft...................................Damn Steering shaft

If you have a 01 on up monte carlo and you havent' experienced this problem yet, don't worry you will. the monte carlos have a never ending problem with the steering shaft. about every 15,000 miles it occurs or reoccurs. there is no fix to this problem, the mechanic will either replace your old steering shaft with a new one that will have the same problem later or he will take your old one off "lube it" with a thicker and more heat repellant lube. i have had my car since January and when i bought the car i had them replace the old steering shaft, and just this past week i took it to them to fix again. this little adventure will cost you around 200-250 every time.
Luckily i work at a chevrolet dealership and had one of the mechanics do it on the side for me.

So fair warning to those who just bought a monte carlo, or is thinking about one.

Has anyone else had this same problem? If so how did you get around it or what did you do to fix it?

Old 09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Default RE: Damn Steering shaft...................................Damn Steering shaft

hey you say your workign at a dealer now?

then do me a favor, Ask a mechanic if there is a way that you could install a Zerk fitting on it someplace so that you could attach a grese gun to it and then we could just lube the damed hing our selves when we do a oil change. I personnally havent think that would be a damed good fit for it if i had acsess to one that was not on the car i would do it my self LOL
But dont feel bad i have 21000 on mine now and it is starttign to act up and i have to find a dealer here that can do warrenty work other then the one im close to. (they like to take the cars out for lunch ) this runs the millege up so that your warenty is not as long over here as they lose money on the US spec cars. (this comes from teh dealers mouth him self One of the mechancs that worked on mine) I was smart enoug that i reset teh trip meter and also wrote the mileage down in front of them so i knew what it was. So for hem to drive mine they had to be creatve with it.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Default RE: Damn Steering shaft...................................Damn Steering shaft

I had my ISS replaced as well, and your right, I thought it was just me, but that damn thing is acting up again. Good thing is, I had mine done under warranty, I'll shove the ole pre-existing problem crap in thier face and file charges in a small claims court if they don't fix it.

Stay tuned, this could get interesting...

Old 09-30-2005, 04:24 PM

well let me know i will be right behind you i have to get mine done and this should be fun over here with the fools here not speacking the lang. to well and me not speacking thiers real well.
I have a feeling im going to make thier day real bad her ein the next week LOL
I have a list of stuff for them to do and plans are to completly inspect it when they are done if it is not right they will do it agian or it will become thiers and i will find something else to drive for a while

Old 09-30-2005, 06:03 PM

lol...... I have a feeling that lack of speaking english around you is catching up with you...

Looks like you have a little Germglish going on in your post......

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] [sm=joke.gif]

Old 09-30-2005, 06:19 PM

lol might be LOL
goodenmorgan in the states

Old 10-08-2005, 07:03 AM

i posted something that you might like to see on here somewhere last night , If i can find it i will post the link in here also . but i have it in the other computer saved if nothign else.

it shows how to do the steering shaft your self at home a guy shows it step by step and also give the part numbers for the right parts.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

i posted something that you might like to see on here somewhere last night , If i can find it i will post the link in here also . but i have it in the other computer saved if nothign else.

it shows how to do the steering shaft your self at home a guy shows it step by step and also give the part numbers for the right parts.

Doesn't look like it's too bad of a job. I can't find the lube kit online though. I guess I'll have to go to the dealer if I ever need to do it. So far I have 66,000 miles on the car but no steering problems.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:55 AM

He said there is now way to put a Zerk fitting on it but, i think he either didn't know what that was or didn't want to say you could. You know so that i would come back and they can make more money of of me. Yeah even if you work there the mechanics will try to screw you.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 PM

i am thinking it is more of the later then the first one.

I will have mine done this time from the dealer then f it dose fix this issue i will do it my self the next time. And then i will put a zrk in i if i can find a way to do it.

my uncel ho was a mech. for years looked at the how to and said why not tae the u joint off the top and weld a plate acrossed it and put in a counter sunk zerk in there

But that is also looking at the internet said he would ahve to see he part in person bfore he could say for sure on it.

But from what i have seen it would work you would have to still drop the shaft to get to it but at least you could do it when needed at your home instead of paying them to do it.

Not sure.
When i get back to the state where i can get the parts easier i will look in to it more.
Thnks for asking for me. It was worth a try

Quick Reply: Damn Steering shaft...................................Damn Steering shaft