Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

"Magical" wheel shake fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 PM
1 Year Member
Default "Magical" wheel shake fix!

So even after i had my 4 brand new tires (500 miles give or take 50 on either end) mount and balanced i still had a bad shake at 65+mph. this was happening for the past week! Well at a red light today i spun my tires to beat the on coming traffic through the turn to hop on high way, hit 80mph and wouldn't ya know it the shake SIGNIFICANTLY improved. still not 100% but it helped a whole lot. anyone know what i may have done that temporary/maybe permanently fixed the high speed shake?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is just a guess....
But you may have spun the rim inside the tire...thus changing balance of the tire and rim....... Maybe the next time you "spin" the tires youll be dealing with the shakeing again?

I would take it back to the tire store and have the wheels and tires rebalanced....

Did they use clip or stick on weights?... Either way I'd put my money on the rim slipping inside the tire.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
This is just a guess....
But you may have spun the rim inside the tire...thus changing balance of the tire and rim....... Maybe the next time you "spin" the tires youll be dealing with the shakeing again?

I would take it back to the tire store and have the wheels and tires rebalanced....

Did they use clip or stick on weights?... Either way I'd put my money on the rim slipping inside the tire.
well i may have over exagerated by saying "spin" tires.. it was more of a gun it off the line, traction control light came on, left off the gas kinda thing.. they i believe are the clip weights. the tires in the front differ from the rear (brand,tread pattern) the rear are more "beefy" with thicker tread, could that cause it?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bowtiebandit23
well i may have over exagerated by saying "spin" tires.. it was more of a gun it off the line, traction control light came on, left off the gas kinda thing.. they i believe are the clip weights. the tires in the front differ from the rear (brand,tread pattern) the rear are more "beefy" with thicker tread, could that cause it?

Theres 2 things that come to mind...
1) Definitely clip on weights will have a tendancy to slip on the rim.. (there not permanent like stick on weights.) So I would acess the weights have derfinately moved...

2) You never want to mix tire tread brands/designs/patterns/sizes... I have no idea what state your from or the weather you have to deal with.. Dry, rain, snow, mud, sand, you do not want to have 2 different type style brand tread patterns/sizes.... Especially with these newer radial tires! In the old days when tires were "Polyglass" Bias tires you could somewhat get away with it...

So I believe you have 2 issues that definitely need to be resolved... from traction control issues to speed sensors, even tire monitors... with 2 different sets/styles of tires... its also a safety issue for you as well as others on the road. Tires need to be the same all the way around and balanced tires need to be addressed ... IMO

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Depending on the "shake" it may not even have anything to do with the rims/tires. Yoiu could be looking at any number of suspension items:
- Wheel hubs
- Sway bushings and sway endlinks
- Tie rods
- Lower Ball joints

I would inspect wheel hubs and tie rods. Get the car in the air, try to wiggle the wheel top to bottom, then left to right and I like to also go diagonally. If it's a bad hub, it wiggles/has play in all directions. And yes, the hub could be bad and you may not have issues with ABS or noise from it. My Monte had a failed hub for well over a year, and the noise was VERY VERY light even until I replaced the hub.

If you get play going let to right, try to look behind the wheel and see if the tie rod is showing signs of slop in it.

That's where I would start.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Depending on the "shake" it may not even have anything to do with the rims/tires. Yoiu could be looking at any number of suspension items:
- Wheel hubs
- Sway bushings and sway endlinks
- Tie rods
- Lower Ball joints

I would inspect wheel hubs and tie rods. Get the car in the air, try to wiggle the wheel top to bottom, then left to right and I like to also go diagonally. If it's a bad hub, it wiggles/has play in all directions. And yes, the hub could be bad and you may not have issues with ABS or noise from it. My Monte had a failed hub for well over a year, and the noise was VERY VERY light even until I replaced the hub.

If you get play going let to right, try to look behind the wheel and see if the tie rod is showing signs of slop in it.

That's where I would start.
I know Im in the need for a new right front hub bearing. when I first got the car 6 months ago the steering wheel would **** to the left while driving, got the left hub replaced months ago and 2 front tires done last week and it straightened the steering issue without a alignment. weird. But I know im in the need for a bearing which could also be the issue. its on the do to list just don't have to do the list tho lol. I heard from numerous mechanics/tire shops it doesn't really matter if you have mix match tires as long as the same ones are on the front/back. The shake comes intermittently on highway but isn't as bad as it was with only 2 new tires.. gonna get the hub changed out and see what that does. if not ill order 2 more tires of the "beefy-er" ones I have for the upcoming winters here in Joisey!